TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SC Tie rod Question
VTECSPLITTY Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:13 pm

On a '66 Single Cab, should there be a "bend" in the passenger side tie-rod? Long story, but to make it short the single cab decided to "run-away" when the tow-bar literally broke the other day and the poor single cab ended up going thru a intersection ghost-riding thru it without hitting any cars or people and stopped by doing a cata-pult launch over a sidewalk (because the towbar was still connected and trailing in FRONT of the bus!) and into desert, in the end it crumpled the towbar underneath the single cab and it looks like the towbar may have bent the tie-rod upon it's landing, but we are not sure if the tie-rod has a natural bend to it, like other cars sometimes have. Anyone have any idea? The steering wheel is now centered, before it was not centered. And No, I was not the person pulling it or did I even see this happen, it happens to be my dads single cab! :shock: Thanks for any info, I also looked on my 65 bus to try and tell if mine is "bent" but with all the conversion stuff I have it's hard to tell. Thanks!