TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brazil?1300?Cheepy motor?
uspopes4 Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:16 pm

Is it a 1300 from Brazil?
Below the alternator mount bracket there is no stamped letter preceding the numbers like it says there should be in the book.
Just the numbers
then slightly below that is a w8 with an oval or circle around it.

The guy I bought it from had no information.

I have heard these Brazil motors are cheapy rebuilds???

glutamodo Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:16 pm

The 1300's came with an "F" in front of the engine number. The earlier 1200 series were the ones without a letter in front of the engine number. (well, some later 1200's had a "D" in front of the number) I don't think that is a Brazillian block, not unless you can find a brazil marking on it somewhere.

Built properly, especially when you bolt on big-bore pistons/cylinders, the 40HP can be a very good motor. But what you get for it is very limited, not many aftermarket parts are made for it anymore.

andy

abdon Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:21 am

glutamodo wrote: The 1300's came with an "F" in front of the engine number.
andy

Volkswagen also sold over-the-counter modern engine blocks (8mm studs dual relief, 10mm oil passages) that started with a letter F. I recently purchased what was sold as a 1300cc short block for dirt cheap. Upon inspection I found out that it was one of those puppies.

DrDarby Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:41 am

What would be wrong with an Engine made by VW Brazil ? They built them for 40 years from scratch and KKD.
That sounds like you have a 40hp block. I don't think brazil ever had a true 40hp, running the 36hp until 1966 or so and then upping to the 1300 which would have an "F" prefex like the German engines.