TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 36hp: Rumbly Noise Generator Area (Bearing?)
staceyz Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:50 pm

I have a rumbly noise that started on my 36hp engine. I took the fanbelt off, and started up the engine, and the noise disappeared. So that narrows it to the generator area. With the belt off, the generator spins nice and smooth, and there is no play (the generator is 6volt bought new (recond.) about 5 years ago... I would have thought one of the bearings is shot..?

2 other comments:

the rear half of the generator pulley has some play when I rotate it back and forth (maybe half a mm)

My pulley has no shims in the middle (5 on the outside) 9.5 x 905mm belt, I need to do this to get the correct tension.

Do I rip out the engine and replace the generator bearings?

campingbox Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:13 am

Why would you pull out the engine to replace the generator?

Are you certain that the fan isn't rubbing anywhere? Has this engine ran for quite a while with this etup before making this noise or is it a fresh/unknown engine?

If it's a known reliable engine, and this noise is new to it.....then it sounds like bearings to me.....the .5mm of play with the rear pully doesn't sound like a huge deal....tough to say without seeing it though.

hazetguy Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:48 am

loose fan? but also a crappy pulley will make bad grumbly noises. what style pulley are you using?
i have had this happen where there is minimal movement (less than 1mm) of the pulley hub on the armature shaft. what is the condition of the slot in the pulley? they get worn out if run loose. also check the keyway and the slot it rides in. if the key is worn, replace it. if the slot is wasted, you gotta replace the generator (or rebuild it with another armature). a combo of loose/floppy belt and a bad hub/hey/slot makes a noise similar to a bad bearing.
spin the gen by hand. pull back & forth on the armature shaft. if there is no/super minimal forward/backward motion that's good. you can often feel bad bearings by rotating by hand or spinnig it by hand.
try another pulley if you can't feel anything. that way you could rule it out as a problem if the noise goes away.

staceyz Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:52 am

The fan isn't rubbing anywhere, everything spins freely and silent by hand. I've been driving with this engine for about 10 years and this noise is new..

I thought it is supposed to be a bugger to remover the generator while the engine is in.. and easier to pull the engine...

campingbox Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:20 pm

staceyz wrote: The fan isn't rubbing anywhere, everything spins freely and silent by hand. I've been driving with this engine for about 10 years and this noise is new..

I thought it is supposed to be a bugger to remover the generator while the engine is in.. and easier to pull the engine...

It's kind of a bitch but takes less time than pulling the entire engine.
Although if its been a while you might pull it out to check out the main seal and tranny seal, and replace the oil cooler seals.

Jon's right about the generator pully....you should be able to tell if it's fucked up just by looking at how it goes together.
Do you have the pully with the keyway or with the two hooks that poke through the front pully?