TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bell Housing Bushing
happydriver Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi, I was just wondering what exactly is entaled in removing and installing a bell housing bushing? My starter quit working and to put a new one on I have to change that part out. I have a 64 bus with a 1600 dp in it. Also the new starter is a little longer by about a half to three quarters of an inch will this present a problem? Thanks, (the currently not so) Happydriver

BarryL Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:03 pm

The engine has to be out to do it this way. I use a 1/4 drive extension with the clearance size socket and knock it from the inside out. Grease the outside of the new one a little and start it in with a very light tap. Then use a c-clamp or a perfect fit socket to tap it home. Use the old one for the final snug then pull it away. Grease the new one inside. The longer starter should be ok.

Mr. Electric Wizard Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:25 pm

Screw the bushings, just get an auto-stick starter... its self supporting, so no bushing woes! :)

splitpile Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:27 pm

Pull the old starter
Find a tap that will just thread into the new bushing
Insert the tap into the old bushing and thread in till the old bushing comes out, the tap will bottom out and pull the old bushing out
Find a long bolt that will fit into the new bushing, put a nut on it so only enough of the bolt goes through the bushing.
Tap in lightly

gerg Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:31 pm

Barry Lynn wrote: The engine has to be out to do it this way. I use a 1/4 drive extension with the clearance size socket and knock it from the inside out. Grease the outside of the new one a little and start it in with a very light tap. Then use a c-clamp or a perfect fit socket to tap it home. Use the old one for the final snug then pull it away. Grease the new one inside. The longer starter should be ok.

This worked perfectly for me. Good advice.

roadron Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:10 pm

another thing going for the autostick starter is it's got a bit more oomph!

happydriver Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:47 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice I went to Advanced auto today got a new starter and didn't worry about the bushing after all. I stuck the new one in and it fired right up, first time. I was so happy to finally be able to drive my bus since it has been in winter storage all this time. Thanks, Happydriver

roadron Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:56 pm

hope that bushing is in good shape or your new starter is gonna be toast in short order

BarryL Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:15 pm

I like that tap idea. It's sooo VW fix gypsy.

gerg Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:50 pm

I've been told that the tap idea works well for the passenger's side clutch fork bushing - since it is in a blind hole, you cannot tap it through. It has to be pulled. I tried the 'fill it with grease and tap a rod in' method. Did not work for me so it looks like I'll tap threads into it and use a loooong bolt to pull it out.