TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: dellorto carbs?
hiperman70 Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:34 pm

hello,does anyone know were i can find rebuilt kits for my 34 dellorto carbs?
thanks

Erik G Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:27 pm

try cb performance

hiperman70 Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:32 pm

i tryed there,but they are out of stock and they might not be get an more in.thanks tho

negawsklov17 Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:49 pm

check ebay, i think i got mine there

ecdez Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:44 am

You can try here

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/

Their site is actign up at the moment, but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

mikey141414 Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:03 am

I am also searching for parts for the Baby Dells. I need aux. venturis, aux. venturi set screws, and rebuild kits.
Here is a short list of who I have tryed so far:

CB performance---None as of now
[email protected] word as of yet
[email protected] word as of yet
alfa1750 on Ebay----no more

I will repost after I find out more.
If any one has any info please email me.
My splittie thanks you.
Mikey
[email protected]

mikey141414 Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:51 am

OK..., just got a delivery failure for [email protected]
I am sure I didn't copy it correctly. If any one knows who this is and how to contact him..or her, please let me know.
Thanks
mikey

Bryan67 Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:49 am

I have a new pair of acc. pump diaphrams. $20.00.

mikey141414 Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:06 am

This is the e mail I recieved from Dellorto UK:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi

We have the aux. venturis, they are 15.95 each, the screw is 1.95, service kits are 24.95 each, air mail would be 5.

All prices are in GB pounds.

We accept Visa MasterCard and Switch, please 'phone or fax your order through
on the numbers below, please do not send credit card details via email.
Alternatively you can pay by PayPal using the link:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/[email protected]&no_note=1¤cy_code=GBP
Please contact me again if you need further details.

Best Regards

Matthew Cooper
eurocarb ltd.
256 Kentwood Hill
Tilehurst, Reading, UK RG31 6DR
Tel. +44 (0)118 943 1180
Fax +44 (0)118 943 1190
www.dellorto.com
[email protected]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps everyone who has been looking. The screw in question is the venturi set screw. I, on the other hand, have decided to spend the same money that would get my Dells back in order, and buy some Weber 34ICTs. Parts will be much easier and I don't have to go to Italy to get them.
But if anyone has an old 34FRD still in their garage, I would like to have a backup!!

Thanks for everyone's help.
Mikey

tristessa Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:53 am

Let's put those numbers into US dollars -- everyone else is on their own.
Quote:
We have the aux. venturis, they are $30.69 each, the screw is $3.75, service kits are $48.00 each, air mail would be $9.61.

Now, given that both pairs of FRD's I've encountered also had wear at the throttle shafts and needed to be rebushed the cost really escalates -- last time I checked Rimco wanted $40 each to rebush and only did Solexes anyway. So despite the "kewl" factor of having Dellortos, it would probably be best to just find a pair of ICT Webers or the dual Solexes that Scat sells.

Bryan67 Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:26 am

Even better, get a set of 36 or 40 Dells. Or even 36 or 40 IDF`s if you like. They work even better than those tiny 1 barrels.

mikey141414 Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:00 pm

They sure would be if I had a bigger than stock engine. I would love to just try out a pair of 40 IDFs on my engine, and see how long it takes for something to go wrong. Oh well maybe next weeks paycheck? lol

Bryan67 Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:00 pm

I swear. For years people have had this misconception that dual 2 barrel carbs are too big for a stock motor. VW`s are so choked down by puny Solex`s its not even funny. I have had several bone stock motors with
36 and 40 Dells and they all run perfectally. And are more reliable than a Solex also. Don`t even waste your time with 1 barrels. You won`t be
sorry.

Russ Wolfe Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:14 pm

Bryan67 wrote: I swear. For years people have had this misconception that dual 2 barrel carbs are too big for a stock motor. VW`s are so choked down by puny Solex`s its not even funny. I have had several bone stock motors with
36 and 40 Dells and they all run perfectally. And are more reliable than a Solex also. Don`t even waste your time with 1 barrels. You won`t be
sorry.
<rant>
Have you ever actually driven a properly set up set of single barrel carbs?? I doubt it. I mean linkages all intact, chokes working properly, and carbs sync'd properly, timing set to proper spec's with a proper distributor??
Will you dual throat Dell carbs even start and idle when it is 20 below zero?? I doubt it.
Stock carbs, set up properly, will let a stock displacement engine run WELL past the speed limit, and get 25-30 mpg doing it.
I love charging for engine overhauls that have washed out bearings, because the engine is running too rich.
</rant>

Bryan67 Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:31 pm

No, I`ve never been in 20 below weather and I thank God for it. I have been doing VW`s for 20 years so I have LOTS of experience. I believe the original post was about 34 Dellorto FRD`s. These do not have chokes nor do ICT Webers so we are not even talking about chokes here.
In fact I am driving a 66 bug right now with a stock 1600 with baby Dells, a header and an 009 and no other mods. It runs OK but a pair of 36`s would really make a difference though. And its just as possible to set up a single Solex or a pair of 1 barrel carbs wrong as it is a peir of 2 barrels.

Russ Wolfe Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:40 pm

Bryan67 wrote: No, I`ve never been in 20 below weather and I thank God for it. I have been doing VW`s for 20 years so I have LOTS of experience. I believe the original post was about 34 Dellorto FRD`s. These do not have chokes nor do ICT Webers so we are not even talking about chokes here.
In fact I am driving a 66 bug right now with a stock 1600 with baby Dells, a header and an 009 and no other mods. It runs OK but a pair of 36`s would really make a difference though. And its just as possible to set up a single Solex or a pair of 1 barrel carbs wrong as it is a peir of 2 barrels.

If you have a '66 bug with 1600 in it, then you are not stock. BTDT I know where you are coming from, as I have done Porshe engines in '60 bugs, and about everyother combination you can think of.
What I am talking about is for the average Joe Blow, to have a dependable car, that will start and run under varyed conditions. If you can maintain your carbs yourself, then more power ot you. BUT, if you can't, then the single barrel Solexes are probably your best bet. Or better yet. stock FI if it came that way.

mikey141414 Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:36 pm

Joe Blow here,

I appreciate both points of view. And I am in a constant struggle of performance vs. reliability vs. $$$$$. And as a young VW owner, student with no cash, I will settle very nicely with reliability. I have heard the old tales of stock VWs being under carbeurated. I have also heard that a stock engine does not like too much. So somewhere in between a Pict 3 and 48s is where I will fall. I went with a used pair of Weber 34 ICTs. I haven't put the engine back in yet, but I feel OK about taking the middle road. I am going to spend more time and money on brakes and cooling before I spend anymore on the performance side.

Joe Blow
"AKA Mikey"

robbied31 Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:41 pm

Yo Mikey141414,
the email addy you are looking for is [email protected] You missed the a in Italian.

I bought my Dell's from him.

robbieD

mikey141414 Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:22 am

cool thanks