TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: this exhaust...
-gameboy- Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:29 am

i am wanting to get a new exhaust for my '71 squareback. i was looking around and found this
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...ogId=10110
i havent really heard good stuff about jcwhitney, but i like the 2 dual chrome tips. anyone got one? also, right there is says all type 3's but it only has squareback as type 2....!?!? that makes no sense...

well,what are some good exhausts for our t3's?

thanks

73notch Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:40 am

dont get that one, for performance gains get a merged setup.

there is a whole thread titled type 3 exhausts 2 threads down that gives alot of options

-ryan

TimGud Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:53 am

I would also go for an extractor but never from whitney. That said I bought one of those mufflers for a 75 bug a few years back,(17years ago) didn't like the dopey looking tips, cut them off nice and straight and abused that muffler horribly and it held up very well. That was the toughest cheap exhaust I have experimented with/abused.

Mr. Bubblehead Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:18 am

I've got that exhaust and all it does is make noise. I'm swapping it out next week for a nice stock muffler I picked up at the swap meet in Phoenix a couple weeks ago.

blankmange Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:22 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: I've got that exhaust and all it does is make noise. I'm swapping it out next week for a nice stock muffler I picked up at the swap meet in Phoenix a couple weeks ago.

you didn't say anything about a muffler swap -- just the FI!

Mr. Bubblehead Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:30 am

blankmange wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote: I've got that exhaust and all it does is make noise. I'm swapping it out next week for a nice stock muffler I picked up at the swap meet in Phoenix a couple weeks ago.

I picked up a bunch of type 3 parts really cheap at the LowlifeVW show swap meet. I got this for $5:

It's got a little bit of surface rust in some areas from sitting outside but other than that it's solid.

notchback Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:32 am

blankmange wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote: I've got that exhaust and all it does is make noise. I'm swapping it out next week for a nice stock muffler I picked up at the swap meet in Phoenix a couple weeks ago.

Before you know it, he'll be putting fat chick bumpers on his car....

blankmange Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:43 am

notchback wrote: blankmange wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote: I've got that exhaust and all it does is make noise. I'm swapping it out next week for a nice stock muffler I picked up at the swap meet in Phoenix a couple weeks ago.

Before you know it, he'll be putting fat chick bumpers on his car....

not even if his life depended upon it... never give in to tram!

tristessa Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:43 am

73notch wrote: dont get that one, for performance gains get a merged setup.
Agreed. Those things rust out way too easy, flow worse than stock, and give you nice chrome tips to trip over/burn your legs on when you walk behind the car. Use a decent 4-into-1 with a quietpack or a stock muffler, you (and your engine) will be happier in the long run.

Air_Cooled_Nut Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:16 am

You will also scrape the flesh from your shins with those pointy tips sticking out.

If you want loud, get a stinger. If you want quiet, a dual quiet pack (because you get good exhaust flow as well compared to a single QP).

-gameboy- Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:42 pm

what about this one???
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/exh/exhaustsystem.htm

i like the dual. perhaps one of those would be good?? anyone expierimented with 'em?

Mr. Bubblehead Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:18 pm

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote: You will also scrape the flesh from your shins with those pointy tips sticking out.
Yup, one of those mufflers came with my car when I bought it. After installing the engine, within 23 minutes I had a severe bloody gash on my left leg. After that incident I installed rolled chrome tips on the ends of the exhaust, but I still have received several burns from them. I'm looking forward to putting a stock exhaust back on.