TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Found a box of relays
abdon Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:45 pm

After spending way too much on a relay for my bus a few months back, today I ended up with a box of NOS German ones, along with a bunch of parts I just purchased.

If anybody knows what these are for I would apreciate it. This is what I got and what I know about them:

Three '211 953 215A' 12volts, 3-prong

Five '211 953 227A' 12volts, 9-prong

Two '211 953 227B' 12volts, 9-prong
For T1,67; T2,67; T3,67-68; KG,67-68; OR,67 (what the hell is an 'OR'?)

One '211 953 225'; 6volts, 9-prong

I know the 3-prong units are inexpensive, but the rest should help me pay for the rest of the parts :D Does anybody know what the NOS relays are going for nowadays?

keifernet Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Not sure, what the market will bear as they say... but seems like those 9 prong should get top dollar if they are NOS... even with the 211 part number I believe they will work with no problem on the the type 1's and maybe the type 3's too.

dstefun Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Wow, good score! WW has a very nice new replacement for the 12V 9-prongs now @ $54 so that's your competition.

http://wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953227BWW

Since it's a hidden part even the purists don't have to go for OG or NOS anymore. The originals have electrolytic capacitors in them so depending on their real age the caps could be bad anyway. But more than likely they are just fine. Just to save yourself some headaches later, sell them "as-is" with no guarantee. I think the difference between the 227A and 227B relays is either the A is rated at 18Watts and the B is 21 watts, or the B has a ground wire attached and the A doesn't. Maybe a combination of both.

I expect to see 'em on Ebay any day now! And they will also fit T2's in 68. (and 66 T2's converted to 12V) :wink:

The 6V one is 66 T2 at minimum. I think it will also work on 66 T1 but I don't know for sure. (66 T1's were a 7 pin box)

abdon Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:30 pm

dstefun wrote: Wow, good score! WW has a very nice new replacement for the 12V 9-prongs now @ $54 so that's your competition.

http://wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953227BWW

Since it's a hidden part even the purists don't have to go for OG or NOS anymore. The originals have electrolytic capacitors in them so depending on their real age the caps could be bad anyway. But more than likely they are just fine. Just to save yourself some headaches later, sell them "as-is" with no guarantee. I think the difference between the 227A and 227B relays is either the A is rated at 18Watts and the B is 21 watts, or the B has a ground wire attached and the A doesn't. Maybe a combination of both.

I expect to see 'em on Ebay any day now! And they will also fit T2's in 68. (and 66 T2's converted to 12V) :wink:

The 6V one is 66 T2 at minimum. I think it will also work on 66 T1 but I don't know for sure. (66 T1's were a 7 pin box)

Wolfsburgwest was were I got mine a while back. If I would have known... :?

Thanks for the info. It looks like a 9-pin is a 9-pin is a 9-pin, with subtle differences such as the ones you mention. If a car uses a 9-pin setup any of them should work.

The odd one is the 9-pin 6 volts one. I think that's for one year only, and only for the '66 bus. Come to think of it that year they switched to 12v so it is a half-year only relay box.

Once the weather warms up and I get around fixing the electric mess the previous owner did on my 67 bus, I'll sit down and test them one by one. It would piss me off to pay for something that could end up being worthless, so I'm not about to impose it on somebody else if I can help it.