TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: new fuel line, once and for all
honus Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:18 pm

So, I have read every posting on fuel lines over the past 2.5 years, and there seems to be plenty of info. In fact, some of the info seems almost contradictory.

I am running a new line thru the tunnel, as this is obviously the best & safest place for the fuel line (although not the easiest place to run a new one).

My question relates to the size & material of the line itself.

As far as size, I have seen posts suggesting 6mm, 7mm & 1/4" line. And what I read says that it depends on the type of performance I would like. Well, I have not completely decided what motor I am going to use, so should I run a little larger line, just in case I want to push 180 hp? Will a larger diameter line still work if I run a stock 1600 (not going to happen, just wondering).

For material, I have seen copper, stainless & flex-braided stainless. So, for ease of use & longetivity, which one is best/rust-proof, etc...? The braided stainless inside the tunnel did not sound like a good idea, but maybe I am wrong.

Let's make this post the final one ever on this topic & remove all doubt for future newbians.

luis Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:01 pm

They should search old threads first. There is a ton of information on this. Going through the tunnel without a question is the best choice. Do not use copper, it bends, crack, and can break easily with all the vibrations. I used 1/4" metal fule line at my local parts store. It is made of bendable stainless stell. If you can't find this then metal made from the same material as break lines will work.

If you use a one lenght 1/4" fuel line get one that is at least 15 in length. Truck supply shops sell hydralic lines in this length that is 1/4" in diameter. Start in the rear of the bug and work you way forward. if you have small hands there will be no need to cut holes in the tunnel. I had to cut two to help me. As I said there is tons of information on this one needs to search.

honus Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:58 pm

As I mentioned, I have read through tons of stuff, but I just want to clear through all of the information and get to what is right.

Will 1/4" line provide enough fuel to run high HP?

luis Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:25 pm

I think it depends on the types of carbs you are using. With dual kadrons it should not be a problem, even with dual webbers or dells that I ran in the past with engines up to 1776 I had no problems with a 1/4" fuel line.

honus Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:27 am

anyone else have some final recommendations? What if I go with an engine in the 2000 range?

Bruce Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:55 pm

1/4" is plenty. I did a car a couple months ago using 1/4 brake line tubing. I bought 10' and used about 8.5'. The ID of a stock fuel line is 4.3mm, the ID of the 1/4" line I used was 5.0mm, so it will flow more than stock. This was feeding a 2275 cc engine with 48 IDAs through a stock pump, making around 170-180hp.

I fed the line starting at the front, that way you can look into the tunnel and watch it's progress. Remove the metal cage from your trouble light and put the bulb in the tunnel at the back. Then to make the new line find the hole at the rear, feed in a piece of welding rod from the rear into the tunnel by the shift coupler. Put the fuel line around the welding rod and continue feeding.

Once it's in place, use nylon tie straps to secure it to the old fuel line. I used the really long nylon straps and some surgical hemostats to manouver the straps around the lines through the small openings. There's no need to hack holes for your hands.

I did the whole job in less than an hour.

honus Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:09 pm

Thanks Bruce! Fortunately, I have the body off and I already had a hole for my custom e-brake, so I should have plenty of room to work with.

Thanks again.