TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: metal that the shock is on
anthratight Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:14 pm

Total novice question, sorry, but the top of the shock, its attached to the 'arm', its pretty solid metal that seems attached to the main round bar that spans the front of the car, does this arm thing that the shock is attached to come off? Thanks D

glutamodo Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:04 pm

This is on a 63 Bug right? The shocks bolt at their top end to the "front axle beam." This entire beam is removable, but that "arm" - or "shock tower" as it is sometimes called - is not separately detachable from the rest of the beam.

andy

anthratight Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:15 pm

Thanks Andy,

I was worried that that was the case, I was hoping that I could pop the shock and then just the shock tower off, trying to get the grinder in there to replace the front clip and front panel. Job just gets bigger! Thanks again, D

alexs64 Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:44 pm

David Tate wrote: Thanks Andy,

I was worried that that was the case, I was hoping that I could pop the shock and then just the shock tower off, trying to get the grinder in there to replace the front clip and front panel. Job just gets bigger! Thanks again, D

Is it my imagination or is taking the beam off easier than working around it?

Max Welton Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:48 pm

alexs64 wrote: David Tate wrote: Thanks Andy,

Is it my imagination or is taking the beam off easier than working around it?
Absolutely right.

Max

glutamodo Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:24 pm

That's what I was going to say too! To drop the beam isn't too difficult, after you remove the gas tank. Just unhook the brake lines, the steering linkage and at least one end of the longer tie rod, then the two bolts from the body to the beam from under the gas tank, and the 4 bolts under the car from the beam to the frame head, and then it's ready to come out.

andy

iowegian Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:53 pm

Support it with your trolley jack. It's kinda heavy (ouch!, my toe)

anthratight Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:47 am

Thanks guys, I was looking at the beam and wondering how hard would it be. My only question is related to all the forum stuff I read, is it difficult to hook everything back up properly after I do take the beam off? i.e I heard someone discussing problems hooking up the steering linkage, or does it all basically pop back on, thanks, D

KSims1868 Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:57 am

It's pretty straight forward. Most should pop back on where it was removed basically. You might have to tweak some of the adjustments or something, but it isn't tough.