TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: FI intake manifold gaskets
Mr. Bubblehead Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:15 am

I found a couple thick intake manifold gaskets in my stash 'o miscellaneous parts, they look like they're made of plastic or phenolic material...are these the correct gaskets for fuel injection? Or do I just need to use the ones that are supplied in a gasket kit?

Russ Wolfe Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Use the ones you found. About 3/16" thick, and should have a thin paper gasket on each side. If yours are used, put a thin coat of blue silicon on each side.
The steel ones in the gasket kits are for T-1 only with the aluminum intakes.

Mr. Bubblehead Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Thanks Russ, I knew that you or Tram would know. Is it OK to make paper gaskets, if I don't find any here?

Russ Wolfe Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:45 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Thanks Russ, I knew that you or Tram would know. Is it OK to make paper gaskets, if I don't find any here?

That works.
Remember, don't run with pointed scissors. :lol:

blankmange Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:47 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Thanks Russ, I knew that you or Tram would know. Is it OK to make paper gaskets, if I don't find any here?

That works.
Remember, don't run with pointed scissors. :lol:

pointed scissors -- those would have come in handy at Mr. B's on Sunday...

Gary Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:52 pm

Is this car originally fuel injected? How could you take an original car and *convert* it? That's not pure!!!!!

Tram Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:50 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Use the ones you found. About 3/16" thick, and should have a thin paper gasket on each side. If yours are used, put a thin coat of blue silicon on each side.
The steel ones in the gasket kits are for T-1 only with the aluminum intakes.

Russ- blue silicone? Are we talking about a '72 Duster here? :lol:
I've always had excellent results with aircraft gasket maker... in fact, when I apprenticed, that's what the Meister said to use, and I've always stuck with it. It's impervious to fuel, even. I once "temporarily" repaired a set of warped Zenith carbs on a 190SL that way- Double gaskets and a little aicraft gasgacinch- with surprisingly excellent results.

I have to rattle your cage a LITTLE from time to time. Keeps you human! :D

Russ Wolfe Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:55 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Russ- blue silicone? Are we talking about a '72 Duster here? :lol:
I've always had excellent results with aircraft gasket maker... in fact, when I apprenticed, that's what the Meister said to use, and I've always stuck with it. It's impervious to fuel, even. I once "temporarily" repaired a set of warped Zenith carbs on a 190SL that way- Double gaskets and a little aicraft gasgacinch- with surprisingly excellent results.

I have to rattle your cage a LITTLE from time to time. Keeps you human! :D

But you cant reuse those fiber spacers after they have been installed with aviation permatex.

Mr. Bubblehead Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:49 am

Icy wrote: Is this car originally fuel injected? How could you take an original car and *convert* it? That's not pure!!!!!
The car was originally fuel injected. The PO had stripped the car completely of all the fuel injection, he removed all the wiring, relays, etc. He even cut off the bracket where the pressure sensor mounted on the driver's side under the decklid :?

blankmange Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Icy wrote: Is this car originally fuel injected? How could you take an original car and *convert* it? That's not pure!!!!!
The car was originally fuel injected. The PO had stripped the car completely of all the fuel injection, he removed all the wiring, relays, etc. He even cut off the bracket where the pressure sensor mounted on the driver's side under the decklid :?

bastard!

Gary Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:57 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Icy wrote: Is this car originally fuel injected? How could you take an original car and *convert* it? That's not pure!!!!!

I bet that same guy put the wrong bumpers on that car. Oh, the HUMANITY!

TheDDB Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:08 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
He even cut off the bracket where the pressure sensor mounted on the driver's side under the decklid :?

Well this just sounds like a clean conversion....
If ya convert it make is a clean one . :D