TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door panels- homemade
73resto Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:16 pm

So i went shopping with ma
I spent her money (cha ching) on vinly 7$ per yard. I got 3 yards more than enough to cover panels.
I got the right thin board(forgot what its called) from home depot. for 7 $
I got glue a brand similiar to the gorilla glue. Than requires moister to adhere. I used the old panel as a template. for cuting the new panels. I cut them . there looking good.

now i have to glue the vinly on . my question is should i put a layel of fabric padding between the vinly and board or just glue the vinly on to the board with out the padding between??
[/list]

V_DUB_YOU1972 Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:12 pm

here's what mine looked like when I bought it. Those were the first things I ripped off.
nice huh!

rustbucket Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:56 pm

I would do at least 1/4 inch foam between the board and the vinyl. It gives it a plush feel. Sponginess, whatever. Without that, it'll be just like the rigid stock boards. I'd customize a little if you're going to the trouble.

marklaken Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:31 am

yes thin pad it...it will also hide minor imperfections...those cheap plastic spring clamps are also very helpful to have, because you will want to stretch and clamp the fabric and it will take hours for your glue to dry (make sure to use cardboard or even better, wood block so the grippers of the clamps don't leave marks on the vinyl....

boardfu Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:50 pm

quite interesting since I was thinking of making my own as well.

Not for reasons of being cheap, but wanting somthing a little different than stock.

Of course if I were to sell the ghia, (not) Id just get stock panels.

Crushed velvet.

Whatcha guys think?

73resto Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:47 am

just got them done. they came out great

boardfu Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:30 pm

oo nice,

could you put up some pics please?

Did you use those plastic pins that hold the original door panels in?

Also, To prevent rattling, did you make a buffer to fit inbetween where the metal touches the wood panel?

lonotch Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:14 pm

Don't go to thick on the pad or the window cranks will rub the material.

boardfu Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:38 pm

I was thinking a light duty foam sheet...maybe an 1/8th-1/4 of an inch thick. I ordered some pins and bushings, So I'll have mine under way pretty soon.

If Im not swamped this weekend Ill make them and put up some pics :)

lonotch Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:42 pm

Depending on material 1/4 " could be too thick. Check first ,foam is cheap but that doesn't mean you have to spend the money if you check first.

73resto Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:33 pm

boardfu Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:14 am

Not too bad for 30$ door panels.

chipmcluk Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:33 am

Not the best pic, but these are the door panels i made for my ghia a while back. Just used masonite, 1/4 inch foam, and wool fabric. Wasnt too expensive and came out pretty nice.

boardfu Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:42 am

Nice. Did you have any problems with that speaker being there in the doorpanel? I would think It wouldnt sound too great. Im trying to figure out the best place to put speakers in the front of the thing....Kick panels? Hole in the door panels?

I just got all my materials today for mine. Black shiny leather look alike vinyl rather than crushed velvet because the sun and weather would destroy the velvet. Almost went white vinyl, but that would be hard to keep clean. Anybody have any good experience with white interiors?

Ill be busy for the next few days, so Ill be done with mine maybe next weekend and Ill post up some pics.

boardfu Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:46 pm

Im in the process of making them right now, and, lucky me the rear door panels arent straight boards.

Thats why they cost so stinkin much...

Ill try making some rear ones anyway, and If they crack, then so be it.

Ah well. I love my Ghia.

boardfu Fri May 20, 2005 9:11 am

Update:

I made some panelboard backs, cut holes in them for the clips, and became severely frustrated when I discovered I had drilled the holes just slightly off. Im just going to save myself a lot of trouble and spend the 100-125 on the panels.

jh72i Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:12 pm

Just came upon this post after already posting a question about making my own door panels. My question was "am I nuts" but it seems its quite ok to do. Anyway, now I have another question: what type of timber have you used - I just read that masonite is more prone to water damage!?

Thanks

lonotch Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm

jh72i wrote: Just came upon this post after already posting a question about making my own door panels. My question was "am I nuts" but it seems its quite ok to do. Anyway, now I have another question: what type of timber have you used - I just read that masonite is more prone to water damage!?

Thanks

If you put the plastic barrier between the door panel and door, the panel shouldn't get wet. Also the door has weep holes in them, make sure that they are not clogged. :wink:

jtauxe Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I am resurrecting this old thread, since I am in a position to do this for my latest bus. It's a '79 Transporter, with good original masonite panels all around, but with missing or otherwise messed up vinyl.

My desire is to re-cover the original panels with something approximating the original vinyl color. Since TMI wants over $400 for a full set like this, and since my existing boards are good, this seems sensible.

As for padding under the vinyl, what about something like this?
http://www.earsc.com/HOME/products/DampingandIsola...sp?SID=370

It would serve as noise isolation, and at 1/8" thick, if would be about right for padding. I have a lead of a roll of this stuff, surplussed.

Thoughts?