TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Electric Fuel Pump Question.
hurry2gonowhere Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:02 am

Very simple to some....... I just bought an electronic fuel pump an dit had no instructions how to hook it up. I know the black wire is ground and the red is hot. The hot wire goes to the coil or am i wrong? If it does go to the coil what side ?? Any help would be great !!
Thanks.

66beetle Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:49 am

The hot wire goes to a switched +12v source. This would be the Positive side of the coil, or NOT the side that is connected to the distributor. However, the when I installed mine, I put it up front, under the gas tank, so it could push the fuel back to the engine, thus negating the possibility of vapour locks. I wired it off the ignition.

Also, a good safety thing to do is to run the pump through a relay off the oil light. I got a "normally closed" relay. This connects the circuit when NO power is sent to the relay and breaks the circuit when power is applied. I ran that from the oil light, so when the oil light is on, the fuel pump turns off. This way, if the engine stalls, the pump won't keep pumping. It also has the advantage that if you're cruisin' down the highway and your oil pressure drops off and you don't notice the oil light come on, the engine will stop running after a minute or two (when the gas in the float bowl is used up). I also installed a toggle switch to bypass the relay, so if my carb is dry, I can turn the pump on manually to prime it.

RareAir Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:27 pm

I'd run the pump off a switched 12v source off the fuse box. Then run a remote/hidden switch in series for use as a theft device.

6471 bugs Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:41 pm

Just a thought......might want to check the pressure on the pump. Most bug carbs dont like much more than 3-4 lbs. .....Kelly