TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Under rear seat on '67 Squareback... what part is this?
Big Fat Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:33 pm

Sorry, no pictures... it's underneath the seat back, it's a straight, skinny piece of metal that pivots where it mounts to the floor. It *looks* as if it's supposed to perhaps be a release of some sort when the seat bottom is placed down?

Anyone have any clue as to what I'm talking about? :)

Bobnotch Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Sounds like the seat lock. :roll: It should have a strap attached, unless I'm thinking of the later types.

Big Fat Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:10 pm

Looks like that's it. No strap attached to mine though. And it's not doing whatever it is it's supposed to be doing. Although I get the feeling that something is a little screwed up in the mounting of my seatback. :?

Squarely67 Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:17 pm

I believe that you are describing the seat back retaining device. It is supposed to keep the seat back from pivoting forward when the back seat is in its usual position. Somehow the seat applies pressure and the device locks the seat back in place.

Big Fat Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Squarely67 wrote: I believe that you are describing the seat back retaining device. It is supposed to keep the seat back from pivoting forward when the back seat is in its usual position. Somehow the seat applies pressure and the device locks the seat back in place.

Looks like that's what it is.

On a related note, I removed the seat back because it's been giving me some trouble. Is the seat supposed to rotate at each of it's mounting points? Mine rotates at the seat itself, but also where the bracket attaches to the armrest area. Makes it feel rather loose, I'm not sure it's supposed to be this way...

Bobnotch Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:14 pm

Yup, that's normal.