TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Another insurance question.
DrDarby Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:04 pm

I'm just wondering who has classic insurance, who has regular and what limitations etc. I have an agreed value policy on my 53 split and '65 Chassied '04 Ultima through one of the big "Classic insurance companies". I am soon to add a '63 and a '65 to that.
As I understand I have to limit my yearly mileage (I do), keep the cars in a locked garage (I do) and never drive the car other than car shows, demonstration or repair. I like to drive my cars occasionally to work or on errands. They are always locked, parked securely and alarmed.
I pay about $125.00 each car per year for full coverage which is great, however I'm afraid of 'Gettting caught with my pants down' if I ever drive to work & something happens yet could easily spend $500.00 - 800.00 more for regular insurance for cars I only drive 1,500 - 2,000 miles per year. I'd like to hear your thoughts / stories.

Amigo-2k Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:29 pm

I'm with Hagerty and I'm pretty sure you can drive it as much as I want as long as it is not your primary car. No mileage restriction either.

toddb_67 Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:41 am

I use Allstate and they insure my bus at what nada.com says its worth which right now it shows a high value of $16K! I only pay about $200 a year for full coverage. I can drive it anywhere I want anytime I want. When I'm not driving it (like this past winter) the policy only costs $1 a month. When I'm ready to drive I just call my local agent, tell them to activate the policy, and away I go! I guess you could say I'm happy with my Allstate plan.

vwkyote Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:36 pm

I'm with Lant on the Custom Wheel Plan with no mileage restrictions at alll, no restrictions on storage, collision coverage the same as my last apprasial ($5000) and a million $ coverage for liability. Costs me $186 a year Canadian. Beats State Farm that wanted $2000 a month just because it was a custom made vehicle! It's licensed and insured as a 68 Kyote, not a 64 Beetle.

http://www.lant-ins.ca/custom.html