TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Do heater boxes go bad?
vwbullet Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:44 am

I am going to take off my heater boxes since i am replacing my engine anyways. There are no rust holes in them, but they look like all hell. IF and when i decide to put them back on, is there anything that i have to worry about as far contaminatioin or something? The reason i ask is because i like to take my kids with me whenever i cruise, and i would not want them susceptable to any harmful things. Let me know if somebody could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

EverettB Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:09 am

If they look ok (no holes or serious rust) they should be ok.

They can rot out.

Maybe clean them up with degreaser before reusing them?

Mr. Bubblehead Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:16 am

Don't let anything get on the inside of them, like oil or grease or anything. If you do whenever you turn on the heat the car will stink. Make sure that there are no leaks in the exhaust or in the cooling air connections, and you'll be fine.

Bobnotch Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:27 pm

vwbullet wrote: I am going to take off my heater boxes since i am replacing my engine anyways. There are no rust holes in them, but they look like all hell.

You might try cleaning them up with a wire brush, and painting them with some POR 15. This will slow down any rusting, and help make them look good. Most of these have a pre-soaked tar board / carboard with steel rub pieces. These will have to be removed before doing any cleaning. :roll:

vwbullet Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:17 am

I also noticed that one of my cables for the heater boxes is broken. Can these still be purchased? Or do i just have to rig something?

Russ Wolfe Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:21 am

You can still buy them. What year you got???

josh Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:32 am

Sometimes they corrode away where the donut clamp connects them wich can lead to exhaust leaks. I've heard there's a sleeve that's used to repair them but I really don't know anything about it.

Russ Wolfe Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:07 am

josh wrote: Sometimes they corrode away where the donut clamp connects them wich can lead to exhaust leaks. I've heard there's a sleeve that's used to repair them but I really don't know anything about it.

I have a bunch of the repair sleeves that I snagged on Ebay.
$8.00 a pair delivered.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/my_misc/adapter1