TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A few questions about my fastback...
70fasty Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:02 pm

Ok I need to ask a few questions about some parts for my 1970 Fastback...

1. Where can i find a turn signal switch for it, everywhere i've looked the one for 1970 is out of stock, or not made anymore, mine is broken so i need one.

2. Where can I find a good selection of T3 bumpers?

3. Where is a good place to buy EMPI 8 spoke black wheels for a good price.

4. What would be some symptoms of my engine not running correctly (my engine is slightly modified, it has an after marker air cleaner, and a stinger exaust system, no muffler)

5. I am most likely going to shave the door handles... can that be done using Bondo? and where is a good place to buy a complete door popper kit?

6. Any suggestions on what to do for my car, right now im sanding down rust, using POR and then using bondo on holes, i replaced the passenger floorpan and the driver side floor pan is still in good condition, i also used POR on it to slow down any rust, I have yet to get to the battery tray area where i see a good deal of rust. So any suggestions to lead me on the right path are appreciated.

7. and where is a good place that sells seat belts, preferably retractable, for a good price

Bobnotch Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:32 pm

1). Should be the same as a 68 thru 71 bug unit (pretty common).
2). The DDB?? Couldn't hurt to ask, or look in the Samba classifieds.
3). Not sure, but shop around. Remember the offset might not be correct for a t-3.
4). Need more info...
5). I would use steel plugs, and fiberglass the areas smoot. This will help keep the water out. Probably autoloc ( www.autoloc.com ).
6).Sounds like you're hitting the main spots first, just keep pickin away at it.
7). You could try CIP (www.cip1.com ) or ISP West. (www.ispwest.com) . I hope this helps.

70fasty Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:54 pm

ok thanks, i will post some pictures tommorow, any more suggestions welcome...

Russ Wolfe Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:57 pm

Bobnotch wrote: 1). Should be the same as a 68 thru 71 bug unit (pretty common).

CIP1 shows that the ''68-69 T-3 is the same as the T-1. But not the '70.
'71 T-3 is different by itself. You can change the complete column.

70fasty Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:03 pm

yea thats what i realized, id rather find a turn signal switch then change out the whole column i mean, mine is in good condition, i see no reason to change it out if its possible to purchase a turn signal switch for a 1970...

tristessa Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:46 pm

The '70 T/S switch issue is a pisser, there isn't anything available that just drops in, plugs in and works -- I've looked. If you're willing to get a little creative with things you could use a different switch and most people would never know the difference. First, get whatever switch you're going to use -- I'd suggest the '68-'69 since it's also for Bug. Second, wander over to http://www.vintagebus.com and print out both the '69 and '70 wiring diagrams; they're also in the Bentley but this way you've (for sure) got color. Then play "match up" for the switch wires with the '69 and '70 diagrams in front of you. If you want to be *really* slick you could graft the wires & plastic sleeve-thingy from the old switch to it, but it's a PITA.

If genuinely *new* seatbelts are a must, go with CIP1. If not, and if you (or a friend) are good with a welder (to make brackets) you could go to the wrecker and get front belts from a dead Vanagon. Installation pics and comments for that conversion are at http://www.icbm.org/erkson/gallery/retracting_seatbelts

Hope this helps.

70fasty Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:36 pm

ok heres some pics of the car in its current state, in a little bit im going to work some more on sanding the bondo down, some is already sanded, i also show a hole that hasn't been filled yet, for a hole like that i am putting steel mesh inside for extra support...

also you can see the wheelwell on the left rear tire, im not exactly sure how to fix it, my dad says he has a remedy, but i also dont have access to a welder, so any suggestions that dont involve welding are welcomed

and i have the levelrs for the windows to pop out on my rear windows, but they wont pop out i think it may be sealed up, is there a way to get it off or will that cause me to replace the whole window seal because my window seal is in good condition... ill tgake more pics a little later

tristessa Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:18 pm

If you can take a clear shot of teh popouts that would help. It's possible that you've got popout glass in non-popout seals, which would explain their not opening. New seals for Fastback popouts have been NLA (No Longer Available) for years.

70fasty Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:42 pm

i found this... instead of rewiring a 69 beetle one would this work? it seems kind of fishy tho because its 68-70 and not just 70... is it a typo on there part?
https://www.mandhtires.com/~map/?cat1=AUTO+PARTS&s=778f251f8c54d05aaa478cf211c6bc85

Russ Wolfe Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:48 pm

My brother told me the other day, that he aquired a set of FB pop-outs with seals that are in pretty good shape, and he wants to sell them.

Mr. Bubblehead Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:20 pm

I've got a '70 turn signal switch here, PM me if you still need it.