TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: freeway flyer Page: 1, 2  Next
jimmynotch Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:18 pm

I have been tossing aroungd the notion of putting a freeway flayer in my notch. I have a stock tranny right now with 195/50's on the rear and a stock 1600 SP motor. Kind of sounds like it is winding too much at 65 mph. What kind of difference will this make in my freeway diving?

EverettB Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:28 pm

195/50s are already at least 2" smaller in diameter than the stock 165R15 tire so just upgrading to a stock diameter tire might help...

jimmynotch Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:42 pm

Yeah.. I had 165's on it, but put the 195/50's all the way around with a slight lowering job on the front about a month ago. Driving in town I do'nt notice any real difference and I like the look, but it isn't so rad for freeway driving. I have an almost brand-new tranny sitting in my garage that came out of my old squareback.. Would putting a taller gear in 4th change much?

-Jim

Russ Wolfe Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:43 pm

Like EB said, and then a freeway flyer will only take you from 4.13 ratio to 3.87.
BTW, what year do you have again??
I have the ratios posted on my web site.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/

Search for "ratios"

jimmynotch Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:49 pm

I have a 65 notch. Its my daily driver for now. Some rust, some original cool stuff, but mostly I just want to have a fun car to drive. What will the difference in gear ratios give me? Would a 195/55 or 60 be a better bet on the rear?

Russ Wolfe Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:58 pm

Well, I hate to say, but you can't have it both ways. The "kool" ride with the low profile tires, and a freeway flyer with low RPM's at 70 mph.

notchback Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:59 pm

EverettB wrote: 195/50s are already at least 2" smaller in diameter than the stock 165R15 tire so just upgrading to a stock diameter tire might help...

a stock tire has a circumference of 79.8" and makes 794 revolutions per mile. you 195/50's, for all their good looks, have a circumference of 71.2" and have to make 889 revolutions in that same mile. Your speedo reading will be 10.7% too fast. When it's showing 60MPH, you're actually doing 53.6. Quite a difference. I agree with Everett, go back to stock, or at least a little taller. My '70 fasty runs 1985/60's, which still look good and don't throw things off quite as much. All my other VW's have 165/15s.

notchback Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:02 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Well, I hate to say, but you can't have it both ways. The "kool" ride with the low profile tires, and a freeway flyer with low RPM's at 70 mph.

Russ,

what the heck is that avatar??? I've been trying to figure it out for a couple days and haven't suceeded yet.

Russ Wolfe Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:10 pm

notchback wrote: Russ,
what the heck is that avatar??? I've been trying to figure it out for a couple days and haven't suceeded yet.

HaHa, gotcha.
Ever wondered what the inside of a modern fuel pressure regulator looks like??
That was potted in epoxy, then sawn in half, lengthwise.
It is hard to cut thru the springs, without the potting.
That particular one is for a SeaDoo Jet Ski.

jimmynotch Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:10 pm

I think I might be going to a bigger tire. Its not that I mind going slow. Hell, the car in 40+ years old and if people in their big ass plastic SUVs hate it, they can go around me. :shock: I do not mind taking extra time getting someplace.. My main concern (aside from the look) is more about winding the motor that fast for extended periods. Are you saying that a freeway flyier would make no difference given a slighty taller tire or even what I have now?

And thanks for the explanation of the avatar... finally.

Russ Wolfe Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:18 pm

You would drop the RPM, maybe 500 rpm or so. I would have to figure it out.
With stock tires, 4000 rpm is 79 mph.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/my_misc/cruisin?full=1

jimmynotch Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:35 pm

Ok.. so what I am gonna do is hop on the road tomorrow and get 'er up to 65 MPh on the speedometer. I will do the math and figure out my actual speed and check out what the tach says and get back to this thread and see whats what. With a mild 1776 project around the corner, I was thinking freeway flyer, but of course the 195-60 or 165 tire set-up might be better anyway.... Thanks for the help. More food for thought.

Jim in Seattle

Mr. Bubblehead Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Ever wondered what the inside of a modern fuel pressure regulator looks like??
Wow, somebody has some spare time on their hands.

Russ Wolfe Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:23 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Ever wondered what the inside of a modern fuel pressure regulator looks like??

Not me, Our lab guys did it. I aint got time for that sh_t. but I thought it was a kool picture.
If you want, I can throw the full size up on my site.

Mr. Bubblehead Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:27 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Ever wondered what the inside of a modern fuel pressure regulator looks like??

Not me, Our lab guys did it. I aint got time for that sh_t. but I thought it was a kool picture.
If you want, I can throw the full size up on my site.
Actually that's the kind of stuff I would like to do if it didn't irritate my wife so much! She gets pissed at me because I'm always taking stuff apart.

notchboy Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:32 pm

I had a 67 tranny with freeway flyer gears in my 64 notchback rollin 195/50/15s. You gota deal with the wrong speedo readings and the wind out. It didnt bother me to much as I had a 1776. So the street rompin more than made up for the lack of "freeway flyin". I remember 3rd gear was loooooooong. :?

Russ Wolfe Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:

Actually that's the kind of stuff I would like to do if it didn't irritate my wife so much! She gets pissed at me because I'm always taking stuff apart.

It is there.

search for "reg"

wynsquezr Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 pm

OK since we're on the subject of wheel revolutions per mile and tire diameter how about some info on how determine approxiamately what ratio's a trannies running. The donor tranny for my 71 SB came from an IRS rear end of un-known age or original veehicle. Axle was just mounted to non descript little piece of pan. Tranny appears as if it had been gone through at some point in the not so distant past(case overall cleanlynesss and new bushing in clutch fork. After a couple of in's and out's,all is functioning well and i;ve notice a difference n performance. Perhaps a little better ratio but I'm not sure. Also no one has come looking for a type one hockey stick have they. If so I think the snipe is probably sitting on it. BUt how do I calc. the approx. ratio( I'm running 165,78/15R on stock wheels.

jimmynotch Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:50 am

Russ Wolfe wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote:

It is there.

search for "reg"

You need years and years of therapy..... :)

EverettB Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:23 am

To clarify, I was suggesting increasing the size of your rear tires only since that is what will lower your rpms.