TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Things that make me go ? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
con123172 Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:16 pm

why are the bottoms of the rear aprons on alot of old t-3's so screwed up? I'm assuming it's from dropping the engin out or changing the exhaust. Is it that hard to be careful with the apron when doing work under there? Happens all the time, you look at nice t-3, go around back, look under the bumper and it's shaped like a piece of bacon!

notchboy Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:25 pm

Mosly from aftermarket mufflers. I rarly see one thats not fubar to one extent or another. Early single and dual quit packs are big culprits of this.

Russ Wolfe Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:57 pm

And owners that don't give a fsck. Dragging them off curbs, bending them out of the way to clear a cheap muffler. Rarely is it caused by pulling the engine. If you gave a fsck, you would get the car up higher.
</rant>

EverettB Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:59 pm

From backing into stuff?

Russ Wolfe Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:17 pm

Not too bad for a 200K farm car. Has spent most of its life on gravel roads.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/just_stuff/t_3_pictures_008

Russ Wolfe Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:20 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Not too bad for a 200K farm car. Has spent most of its life on gravel roads.

And that car has been sitting in that spot for almost 6 months, and notice, that it has not marked its territory. :wink:

blankmange Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:59 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Not too bad for a 200K farm car. Has spent most of its life on gravel roads.

I noticed that it is bent a bit on the passenger side, however... the same spot mine is bent...

coincidence?

Russ Wolfe Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:04 pm

blankmange wrote: [
I noticed that it is bent a bit on the passenger side, however... the same spot mine is bent...

coincidence?

Backing into snow drifts in the winter :?: :?: :?:
Oh, wait those SoCal boys don't know what those are :lol: :lol: :lol:

blankmange Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:08 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: blankmange wrote: [

coincidence?

Backing into snow drifts in the winter :?: :?: :?:
Oh, wait those SoCal boys don't know what those are :lol: :lol: :lol:

mine is an original Kansas car, so it very well be snowdrifts...

notchboy Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:50 pm

Whats snow?

I can literaly count on one hand how many times Ive seen, been near snow. And 3 of those times was because I lived in Seattle for a year! :wink:

Russ Wolfe Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:34 pm

Seattle doesn't have snow, They have frozen rain. Snow is big flakes so thick you can't see, and wind blowing 30 mph out of the northwest. And when you wake up in the morning you can't open your house door.
:)

blankmange Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:13 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Seattle doesn't have snow, They have frozen rain. Snow is big flakes so thick you can't see, and wind blowing 30 mph out of the northwest. And when you wake up in the morning you can't open your house door.

I did exactly one winter north of Chicago, in sight of Lake Michigan... the coldest, nastiest winter I can remember... and snow exactly as you described... snot freezing in my nose, having to blink so many times a minute to keep my eyes from freezing...

why in the world do people live that far north? :)

Bobnotch Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:25 pm

blankmange wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Seattle doesn't have snow, They have frozen rain. Snow is big flakes so thick you can't see, and wind blowing 30 mph out of the northwest. And when you wake up in the morning you can't open your house door.

I did exactly one winter north of Chicago, in sight of Lake Michigan... the coldest, nastiest winter I can remember... and snow exactly as you described... snot freezing in my nose, having to blink so many times a minute to keep my eyes from freezing...

I keep asking myself that everyday. :shock: I really do hate winter/snow. I really want to be some place warm and dry, but the wife can't handle that kind of weather. :( We did try it for a couple of years, I loved it, and she hated it, the kids were the same way, my daughter loved it, my son was miserable (allergies like his mom). :roll:

Mr. Bubblehead Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:46 am

Mmmm...snow. Something I miss from back home in Michigan.

blankmange Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:04 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Mmmm...snow. Something I miss from back home in Michigan.

always knew you were a bit off-center....

karenw Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:21 am

Here in N. Indiana it's snowing right now. It's probably not going to stick, but it's still disheartening to see. Yesterday it snowed like a mofo.

And by next week it's supposed to be 60 degrees. Go figure. :roll:

localboy Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:40 am

Bobnotch wrote: blankmange wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Seattle doesn't have snow, They have frozen rain. Snow is big flakes so thick you can't see, and wind blowing 30 mph out of the northwest. And when you wake up in the morning you can't open your house door.

I keep asking myself that everyday. :shock: I really do hate winter/snow. I really want to be some place warm and dry, but the wife can't handle that kind of weather. :( We did try it for a couple of years, I loved it, and she hated it, the kids were the same way, my daughter loved it, my son was miserable (allergies like his mom). :roll:

Move to Hawaii...warm 365 days a year, clean ocean air, trade winds to blow any pollution/allergens away...I now live in Seattle :x Yeah winters are "mild" but by Feb you are so sick of drizzle and a gray ceiling of 1000' that NEVER goes away that it's no wonder both alcoholism and suicide rate are probably higher than anywhere else :shock: God I miss home :cry:

GermanlookT3 Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:54 am

Here is my rear apron... The car is now getting painted and will have the rotors and drums drilled to Porsche 5 lug, and then The front disk's cross drilled. Motor will be a 1641. Anyways... The apron is PERFECT!!! No bends!

Russ Wolfe Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:54 am

blankmange wrote:

Well, where I live, you can still leave your doors unlocked, and the keys in your car. You know all your neighbors by their first name, and they will watch your place for 2 weeks while you go on vacation. The teenagers will actually do physical labor to earn some spending money, and won't cuss your grandma.
Is that enough reasons?? :?:
Oh, and another thing, we even get snow days from work. :lol:

chillz1 Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:18 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Seattle doesn't have snow, They have frozen rain. Snow is big flakes so thick you can't see, and wind blowing 30 mph out of the northwest. And when you wake up in the morning you can't open your house door.

LOL!! Reminds me of my years in eastern Canada. Only there, it was the dreaded Northeast wind that was feared the most...right off the Atlantic. January storms on the east coast are NO fun. One of the few things I like about living in the desert.