TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front brake pads
Mr. Bubblehead Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:28 am

I just replaced the front brake pads on my '71 Square....when I tried to install the pads I got from my FLAPS, they were too big. I took one of my old pads with we when I went to exchange them, and I was told that the pads I needed were Ghia pads. The calipers were marked "Varga", so it appears that the PO replaced them at one time. Is this a common "fix" on type 3's, to replace the calipers with Ghia ones? The brakes work well now, but I'm a little concerned since the Ghia pads have a smaller surface area than the type 3 pads. Do I need to be looking for type 3 calipers?

Bobnotch Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:00 am

Yeah, the Varga calipers are the common replacement caliper for t-3s. They are a ghia caliper too, and use a smaller piston (40mm vs 42mm for a t-3). If you can find some good t-3 calipers, send them to Jim Adney for rebuilding, as he has all the tooling and parts needed for doing this job correctly. He even has the correct t-3 pads with the groove in them. :D It's possible that your FLAPS gave you pads for a 72 (much larger than the 71 and earlier), and that's why you were having a problem with them, it wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. :roll:

Mr. Bubblehead Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:09 am

Well, the brakes work fine, so I'm not going to mess with it for now. I do have an extra pair of calipers from a '70, are they the same as the '71?

Russ Wolfe Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:26 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Well, the brakes work fine, so I'm not going to mess with it for now. I do have an extra pair of calipers from a '70, are they the same as the '71?

They are supposed to be. They didnt change the caliper until '72.