TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tuning FI with a "performance" engine
Mr. Bubblehead Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:26 am

Well, I've had the opportunity to play around with my new fuel injection, and I thought that I would share some tuning tips that I've learned in the past week. My engine was not stock to begin with, a 1641cc with an Engle W110 cam. Not really a "high-performance" engine, but different than stock nonetheless. I found that due to the nature of the D-jetronic system (which uses a cam on the distributor shaft to open and close trigger points to establish injector timing) the valve timing and injector timing are very critical, especially at lower (less than 2000) RPMs. I tried adjusting the fuel pressure, giving it both more and less, and found that the best setting is around 30psi (close to the factory setting). Any more or less and I was getting a lot of popping (backfiring) out of the exhaust. I also played around with various different resistor values in place of the temperature sensors, trying to "trick" the computer into thinking that the engine was cooler than it really was, in order to enrich the fuel mixture. This proved to not really be beneficial except at WFOT (Wide F---ing Open Throttle) at cruising speeds, where the engine made tons of power, at the expense of fuel economy. Lastly I resorted to adjusting the manifold pressure sensor (my common sense told me not to do this, but my God-given instinct to tweak things supercedes all cognitive reasoning). By increasing the pulse width, I was able to compensate for the different duration of the performance cam, and (for now) I've got it tuned where I like it. It has good power throughout the RPM and speed range, not sure about the fuel economy, though. Blankmange and I will be taking a 1000-mile road trip in the Square this weekend, so I will report back with with more info next week.

blankmange Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:50 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Blankmange and I will be taking a 1000-mile road trip in the Square this weekend, so I will report back with with more info next week.

no pressure on us, then is there?

Mr. Bubblehead Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:04 am

blankmange wrote: no pressure on us, then is there?
None whatsoever. You know me, I like adventure.

Russ Wolfe Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:23 pm

Go a little farther and pick up my front clip in Torrance, CA. :lol: