TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '71 for 2 grand
testdriver Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:12 pm

I'm looking to get a squareback and a friend of a friend has a 71 for 2 grand. it needs some body work, all interior (how much might that run?), and has a short (oi, i know). you wrote that the 71 was fuel injected in the US...this one's carborated, what's with that? is it a different year motor? would it run fine with the carbs? it's an automatic and i really want it but i haven't seen it yet. so if someone could answer my questions and give me some tips that'd be great.

Thanks!
Hillary

raru Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:00 pm

2 grand? what kind of body work? how is the pan in terms of rust? how's the motor besides it being carburated? carbs are fine for a 71, but you might have to tweak them to run right. as for the short, that can run you trying to track it down. i'd say you don't need any enemies... :evil:

Tram Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:35 pm

Hillary, it sounds like you could do way better for 2k. If it had ONE of the three problems (bodywork, short, interior work) I'd say possibly. Do you NEED an automatic? If you do, and this one runs OK, offer the guy $1500 if you just HAVE to have it. I wouldn't do it, though. Squares are great cars, but late ones just aren't worth a whole wad of cash, unfortunately. I'd say you ought to be able to get one that's really close to perfect in the $3500 range- or less. It doesn't have fuel injection because someone yanked it off and put carbs on it. It'll run OK, but NEVER like it should. Mr. Bubblehead can tell you about the difference, as can lots of other Samba members.
Have you ever owned a Square? Are you familiar with them? It'll be tough to tell if this is a "good" one or not, if you don't know what it SHOULD drive, handle, and feel like.
Personally, not having the injection along with the other issues would put me off on owning the car at almost any price... and there's nothing I couldn't do to that car myself, including the body and paint.
I think you need to do some more shopping. Maybe you should consider paying a bit more and being willing to travel to get a better car. They're out there already done cheaper than you can buy and re- do this one, guaranteed. There are a LOT of folks who can help you out with that on here.
Where are you located?