TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil pan studs
squarewerks Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:48 pm

one of the 10mm studs on the bottom of my oil pan is dripping, and i went to tighten it and it is like it is stripped... what should i do? (i used to have a deep sump on there if that is any help) and what is your guys take on the removable push-rod tubes (the screw on kind) i want to put all screw on ones on my car.

Glenn Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:51 pm

If one of the M6 strainer holes is stripped, then you can tap it for a M8 and use a step stud that's 1/2 M6 and 1/2 M8.

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:56 pm

Glenn wrote: If one of the M6 strainer holes is stripped, then you can tap it for a M8 and use a step stud that's 1/2 M6 and 1/2 M8.

You need a 8mm x 1.25 tap and the step stud.
As for the screw in push rod tubes WHY :?: :?: :?: No one can see under there anyway.
They leak after time. They were designed for emergency use originally. To get a dune buggy back on the road after hitting a rock.

Bobnotch Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:48 pm

squarewerks wrote: one of the 10mm studs on the bottom of my oil pan is dripping, and i went to tighten it and it is like it is stripped... what should i do? (i used to have a deep sump on there if that is any help) .

Or you could run a 1/4-20 tap in there, and use a 1/4-20 screw to seal it. This would allow you to seal the sump, and if at a later time it strips out again, then you could go to the 8mm step stud. :D

squarewerks Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:36 pm

thanks for the help guys, i didn't know the screw on push rod tubes leaked over time... thanks again russ, you're a really big help man.