TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Finally Got My 67 Back!
jkersting Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:55 am

I didn't think it would ever happen, but the slowest welder in the world finally finished up my Beetle. Who knew it would take 5 months to weld in a rear floor panel and rocker panel! (After this experience, I really want to learn how to weild a torch.)

Anyway, patience pays off. My Beetle is rock solid and ready for paint. I drove it home in a severe rain storm and there wasn't even a drop of water inside. Last time I drove in the rain, the whole rear filled up with water all sloshing back and forth.

I know this is a pointless post. I'm just so glad to get my car back that I had to tell folks who'd actually care. :D

nimbus Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:59 am

Hey, I'm with you. My 67 is at German Vintage Performance, doing great work on it. I am waiting for mine to come back (getting new heater channels, other welding pieces, and paint).

Refrigerama Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:44 pm

Got my 67 back after two years in the paint shop. Guy did a great job on the paint. The other stuff not so great. Clutch started making noise,pulled motor found the throw out bearing in backwards and cooked. Replaced pressure plate,clutch,throw out bearing and trams seal. The day when i went to pick up the car he was changing the front lights. Apparently the POS cable came off and touched ground burnt the lights. I found out later that not only did it burn the lights but the voltage regulator was damaged throwing 18 volts. Replaced the voltage regulator,points also were toast, repalced it also. while setting the points the generator does not have any voltage coming off of i pulled the cover and i can see burnt wires.After getting the engine i noticed some oil on the cylinders i do not know if it is from the oil cooler or heads. The good thing about all this is that this is my first VW i do have some knowledge but i am a rookie and i have learned. The fact is that if you want some done right do it yourself. Put a wrench on all the stuff your guy touched you will be suprised what you find loose.
Good Luck

toddyvol Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Quote: (After this experience, I really want to learn how to weild a torch.)

I just bought a flux welder for $99. It's really easy to use. If you can use a crayon you can operate a mig or flux welder.

Major Woody Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:11 pm

I wouldn't trust someone who wanted to use a flux welder on autobody sheetmetal with a set of BIG crayons.

So, done any butt welding yet?

toddyvol Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:20 pm

Just crack, no Butts :lol:

jkersting Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:47 am

I'm very tempted to pick up a MIG welder from Home Depot and start practicing on hunks of metal. I keep hearing both sides of the story that it's as easy as using "crayons" to it's impossible to learn. Seems like it's straight forward. I'm scared of toasting my car or setting other disasters into motion. In the north east, welding skills are a must. It's really hard to find any places that will work on VWs (at least in a timely fashion).

bill may Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:05 am

the only problem with a "gasless" wire welder is the "gasless" part. get adapter for argon /co2 mix.