TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Performance Exhaust
LAfasty Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:48 pm

I have a 1641 with dual 40s and I want to upgrade the exhaust and maximize the potential of my motor. Can anyone recommend a header/muffler I can install to achieve the most power from my engine?

Thanks,
Alex

http://photo.vvi.at

notchboy Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:10 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110182

seans67 Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:29 am

Nice picture, but where is your car?

Air_Cooled_Nut Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:06 am

40mm are too big, 36mm would be better but since 36mm are very hard to find...

Make sure you have the BIGGEST air filters on your carbs that you can fit. I did a test once where I went from K&N air filters that were 1.5" high to 1.25" and I felt a noticable decrease in performance; I'm telling you, it was huge! So clean air filters with lots of surface area!

Use pure synthetic oil. Not a blend, that's a marketing thing that doesn't really help your engine except to clean it. However, you MUST have a full flow oil filter setup if you run synthetic because it will CLEAN out your engine and the stock screen filter is not good enough by any stretch of the imagination to perform such a job. Even a partialy blocked oil passage will destroy your engine. But synthetic is not for everyone: I've found 90%+ of the people out there to be totally ignorant about synthetic oil and who spout what they've heard or "read on the internet" or what their mechanic (who has done NO research on the +/- of synthetic) has told them and they are all waaaaaaaaay wrong. If you don't want to use it, fine, don't. Dino oil is fine but if you're looking to free up some hp and gain some mileage then go full flow and get synthetic. Enough of that...

J-tubes won't do any good if you stick with stock diameters :wink: Keep the stock heat exchangers, install a merged exhaust header and attach dual quiet-packs or a stinger. Both will flow well, just one will do it more quietly than the other 8) Make sure if you use dual quiet-packs that you use the tabs on the mufflers to support them to the exhaust pipes as the mufflers are heavy and them bouncing around places a lot of torque at the merge mounting point, leading to fatigue and failure.

karfer67 Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:32 am

there have been a few good posts on this topic but i will toss my two and a half cents in. i use a standard type 3 header on my type 3 with a A-1 muffler and love the results. yes i did have to bend the valance a bit to get it to fit but the sound and power is great. becareful with a small engine any larger than this will most likely hurt HP as small cc engines need some back pressure. that is why some "imports" loose hp when they install those stupid coffee can mufflers. leave the large headers to the big engine guys. look up karfer67 in the gallery to see pics of my muffler.

Air_Cooled_Nut Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:36 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=194044
Was the rear apron already bent to hell or did you have to do that to fit the muffler? Such bending would be completely unacceptable for me...I'd have an elbow made so the muffler would clear the apron.

karfer67 Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:39 am

the apron was already bent from the previous owner. i was thinking of cutting it across so it would look better i know it is kinda ugly.

LAfasty Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:22 pm

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
Make sure you have the BIGGEST air filters on your carbs that you can fit. I did a test once where I went from K&N air filters that were 1.5" high to 1.25" and I felt a noticable decrease in performance; I'm telling you, it was huge! So clean air filters with lots of surface area!

I checked and my air filters are 1.25" at most. But how can I go any bigger without cutting the trunk? They are less than a half inch from the lid??

x43x Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:23 am

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote: J-tubes won't do any good if you stick with stock diameters :wink: Keep the stock heat exchangers, install a merged exhaust header and attach dual quiet-packs or a stinger. Both will flow well, just one will do it more quietly than the other 8) Make sure if you use dual quiet-packs that you use the tabs on the mufflers to support them to the exhaust pipes as the mufflers are heavy and them bouncing around places a lot of torque at the merge mounting point, leading to fatigue and failure.

I have this exact set up with my 1776. I got the header and exhaust ceramic coated from S&S. The exhausts are Bugpacks though, and S&S welded their logo over the "BUG" part...

Ive only driven the car about 20 miles, and its in the shop now, so I cant really tell you about performance. Also, the apron was already bent, but it will be fixed to slightly cover the mufflers.

Air_Cooled_Nut Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

[email protected] wrote:
Prettttty!

I see you have the upper elbows to feed the air to heat exchangers, nice. Makes routing the flexible hosing easier.