TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stuck in the Process of lowering one rear tire!
Adventurewagen Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:30 am

Im in the middle of lowering one side of my 63 notch. Ive got it jacked up, the three bolts off holding the plate to the axle, the 4 bolts on the front plate, the plate, and the rubber stop removed as well as the hole in the body.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the axle out of the way of the torsion arm, the break line doesn't seem to have enough play to get it out of the way either? I also can't seem to move the axle back far enough to let the torsion bar slip by?

Do I just need to remove the parking break cable? Everythings all jacked up right now, literally! I need a little insight to finish this off hopefully this afternoon.

littlebuggie Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:48 am

take the e-brake cable off from inside the car,(take the two nuts off of the cable) then pull the cable down from under the car and you have the slop you need.

Air-Cooled Head Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:44 pm

I had to disco the hard lines when I did this. Oh, wait. I was changing to discs so I had to remove 'em anyway.

Anyway, just disco the hard line.

VEEDUBACE Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:10 pm

all i had to do was disco the e-brake cable. the brake lines were plenty long on my 64 notch.

Bobnotch Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:12 pm

Yeah, when we did Rob's 65, we loosened the nuts on the cable, and removed the hooked end inside the drum. This gave us plenty of room, and we didn't have to wrestle with re-fitting the cable back thru the 1/2 roller. :x You do have to remove the 13mm headed bolt that holds the cable to the backing plate. :roll:

Adventurewagen Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:29 am

I did it!!! Once I got the e-brake completely removed I was able to nudge the torsion arm past the axle, PITA though. Then I started pulling on it to get it off, and pulled out the whole freaking bar from the inside!

I was totally freaking out, I separated the bar from the torsion arm and realized I had no freaking clue where any of the splines went?!? So much for dropping it one spline :shock:

So I eye balled it and reassembled it where I thought it looked maybe slightly higher than before. It was really hard to get the plate back on and the torsion arm to pop back into its notch! So I dropped the car and took it for a spin. I must be super lucky, because it looks to be nearly perfectly level. So now I have a level notch! Very satisfying getting a job finished. So I guess if it settles right I won't have to do it again.

Thanks