TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: FI Wiring Question
seans67 Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:21 pm

I'm trying to sort out a PO's mickey mouse job on the FI wiring harness, replacing it with a good used one (thanks Martin).
Reading the Bentley manual it says that the cold start valve is hooked directly to the starter. The PO had wired the Thermo switch to that same wire to the starter.
The Thermo switch should just hook via spade connecter into the FI harness correct?
I thought that this switch controled whether the cold start injector fires depending on ambient air temp. But with the cold start valve hooked to the starter it would just fire while cranking, no need for the switch.
After reviewing [url]Brad Anders Site[/url] he doesn't really go in to what it switches.
Oh how I love learning about this system.

Russ Wolfe Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:25 pm

The wire from the starter goes to the cold start valve, and the other terminal on the cold start valve goes to the thermal switch. The cold start valve doesn't get a ground if the ambient temp is above about 40 degrees.
Personally, I usually leave the cold start disconnected.

Air_Cooled_Nut Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:46 pm

My cold start thermo switch comes on at 45ºF. The range is BETWEEN 32ºF - 50ºF when it will ground (so test yours to find its switch point). The early units wouldn't ground unless 5ºF or less.

seans67 Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:03 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Personally, I usually leave the cold start disconnected.

The one in the 914 doesn't work and it starts fine in cold whether, just gotta give her a little gas.

It only sprays fuel while cranking right?

Mr. Bubblehead Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:57 am

On early D-Jet ('68-69) the cold start valve was optional. The early system that I put on my car didn't have it, and so far it starts just fine without it. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out below 30º yet, though.