TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: OE Style spark plug wires
Envious Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:08 am

Does anybody have a source for either NOS or at least oe style wires for my 64 1500s. All of the sets I've come across are too short. They'll reach the cylinders but they're not even close to being long enough to clip into the stock wire holders on the tin.
Since my car is 64, they'll also have to have short straight boots on the distributor cap end.

Russ Wolfe Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:29 am

Do you have the original wires?? If so, just replace the boots and the ends if needed. The copper core wires seem to last forever.
I have seen them listed at several online sites.
Try CIP1 or Chirco. Maybe Anthony at ISPWest can help.
http://www.chirco.com/cgi-bin/chirco.storefront/42...w/BOS09004

tomnotch Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:17 pm

have you tried the Bosch 7mm silicone ones? They have the 90s at the cap, but I can't confirm the length is right as I use them on a t4 motor. They did seem pretty long though.

Envious Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:33 pm

I don't have the original wires. They were completely shot. I'm currently running with an NOS set of Bosch 7mm wires with straight boots but they're too short. I've purchased a new set of Bosch wires as well but they were the same length.

Russ Wolfe Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:34 pm

If you cant find what you need to be original, Make your won wires. You should be able to by bulk plug wire at most parts stores. If you are in a rural area, go to your local tractor supply store.
Then cut it to the length you need for each wire, put on the boots, screw on the ends, and you are all set.

tomnotch Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:23 am

if all the parts store has is straight ends for the dizzy, they are not true T3 plug wires, probably a cheap T1 set. T3's had 90* boots at the dizzy so the wires didn't ride on the hatch cover insulation.

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:37 am

tomnotch wrote: if all the parts store has is straight ends for the dizzy, they are not true T3 plug wires, probably a cheap T1 set. T3's had 90* boots at the dizzy so the wires didn't ride on the hatch cover insulation.

Early T-3's didn't have the angled ends. If they had the short cap or the short distributor, the were just regular straight ends.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/Ghia-Progress/IMG_0003
This is an original virgin engine, in a '64.
The cobbling at the coil was for a radio suppressor.

Envious Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:59 am

tomnotch wrote: if all the parts store has is straight ends for the dizzy, they are not true T3 plug wires, probably a cheap T1 set. T3's had 90* boots at the dizzy so the wires didn't ride on the hatch cover insulation.
Not so. Early T3's had short straight boots. 90's would be better and I might have a better chance of finding them that fit but I'm looking to keep the car as original as possible.

tomnotch Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:15 am

sorry, about that, you can chastise me all you want, but the 90* sets from Bosch are nice , take it or leave it. Remember, I'm NOT a vintage guy.

Envious Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:24 am

tomnotch wrote: sorry, about that, you can chastise me all you want, but the 90* sets from Bosch are nice , take it or leave it. Remember, I'm NOT a vintage guy.
Not chastising at all. Please don't take it that way. I agree with you 100% that the 90* sets are better. I just want "the look".

notchboy Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:40 am

I still think you are cool Tom. :wink: Here is one more shot of oem early stuff.

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:41 am

I wasn't chastising. I was just pointing out that the early engines didn't have the angled ends. They didn't start until FI came in. My '66 didn't have them either, but I didn't have a picture of that engine.
It is kind of nice to have a virgin engine to look at once in a while.

notchboy Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:48 am

And on a more usefull note. I would make your own as others have sugjested. Stay away from that fiber core crap. Im presently using it, it works but it sometimes dosnt grab well on the screws at the spark plug end. Find good copper core stuff. If you cant find it buy a kit for a V8. The lengths in there will be more than enough.