TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Berg Stick And Running Hot ? Thanks Troy For The Solution!
Kris Styes Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:05 pm

Berg Stick And Running Hot ?

Situation:

Engine oil via Berg Stick shows 230 degrees.

Today:

1966 Type 1
1776 cc Engine, less than 5K on engine
Valves adjusted (They really didn’t need it)
Timing Solid, Running Vacuum Advance, Advances Proper
No Restrictions With Fan
Tin Solid/Proper Fitting
Dual Solex Carbs Adjusted

At idle running for 30 minutes at 80 degrees outside, both Berg Stick and case show 155 degrees. Run the engine at 60 MPH for 12 miles and Berg Stick flickers. Stop the car, shoot stick and case with laser sensor and stick and case are 227 degrees. This is the temperature the Berg Stick will start to flicker. Checked Berg Stick in boiling water, per Berg instructions, and Stick is OK.

WHAT THE HECK IS MAKING THE ENGINE OIL GET SO HOT ?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Kris (Kansas)

abbiedolphin Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Any chance your oil is getting fuel in it via rich carb or leaky fuel pump? I assume this would cause oil to be less than effective at lubricating, thus causing excessive heat.

Teeroy Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:46 pm

What year beetle ? If an early pre 68 car , do you have any extra air flow (convertible decklid , stand offs , propped decklid bottom) ? if not you don't have enough air to cool and feed the carbs . Could be too much compression for the gas you are using also , do you know what it is ? What is your total advance with and without vacume hooked up ? What plugs are you running ? Are the carbs jetted properly and in synce ? Any of the above can make it run hot . TROY

Kris Styes Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:49 pm

Troy:

Thanks for the quick reply. I will get all the answers to you questions and post them ASAP.

1966 Type 1
No Standoffs, stock engine lid
Running 90 Octane
Bosch Plugs, gap proper
No gas in oil, changed oil today, fine

Other answers to Troys questions on Monday, mechanic knows this stuff!

Best,

Kris

Kris Styes Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:05 pm

Troy:

I created “a standoff engine lid by wiring my lid latch to the bumper. Recreated the same drive (12 miles) and no overheating (Berg Stick Flickering). In fact, I traveled some 20 miles further, 10 miles faster per hour and up and down hills. No overheating. Air flow was the issue.

When I finally stopped (with a smile) I used the laser temp sensor and the stick and case read 188 degrees.

Thanks for the quick replay and solution!

Best,

Kris (Kansas)