TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help it's cracked
heb Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:59 pm

If anybody out there knows or wants to sell a front windshield for a '66 Squareback that would so help me out. It was the last piece of the car going back together, the window was almost in and the rubber would not go over the lip. We attempted to gently pull it back and reposition it. Well it cracked right in the middle and spidered everywhere. If any one can help that would be great. Just let me know how much you would want for the windshield and shipping. Or if close enough I would be willing to pick it up. Thanks and take care. :cry:

Tram Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:48 pm

Where exactly ARE you?

heb Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:54 am

I am Reno Nevada. Will travel.

localboy Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:08 am

Try here for new ones, if you're interested.

http://eisparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=EIS/CTGY/T3WG

heb Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:39 am

Localboymark Do you know how those new windshields fit?? are they exact fit or is there anythign that I should know before going ahead and purchasing?? Thanks

notchboy Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:59 am

All front windshields are the same through production. There for all after market ones should be. This one apears to have the tint band at the top which is not a stock feature. I have never hear of a windshield not fitting properly. :wink:

Russ Wolfe Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:48 am

In '71 or '72, they started making the windshields slightly smaller, because they put the retainer clips on the opening. It is a metal strip with like teeth to help hold the windshield in in an accident. If you have this strip, and are not sure if you have the large or small glass, just leave the strips out.

heb Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:51 am

Thanks I ordered the windshield clear without that ugly tinted strip. We will see how it fits when it gets here. Russ my Square is a 66 and I don't remember any metal retainers but that doesn't say much since someone already replaced the rubber with a Cal look type. I went back to stock rubber with the trim. I really appreciate everyone's help it has been a great help. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

localboy Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:15 pm

Hey heb, I don't know of any issues with these as my Notch is still at body/paint. I found them doing a little search since I need a windshield when the time comes. Let me know how the clear windshield looks as I don't want the one with the blue tinted band up top either. :shock: :x Thanks...

Air-Cooled Head Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:19 am

heb wrote: Thanks I ordered the windshield clear without that ugly tinted strip. We will see how it fits when it gets here.

It'll fit fine. I ordered one from EIS a couple years ago. The glass was perfect; had more trouble w/ the rubber & trim.

Russ Wolfe Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:51 am

When installing the new one, make sure there is no debris or chips of glass in the grove in the rubber. Anything in there can crack the glass.

heb Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:29 am

Alrighty all, the glass was perfect. Fit is awesome with the new rubber and trim. It went in without a hitch. Thanks to everyone and there advice I really appreciate it. Thanks and take care.

localboy Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:59 pm

Heb thanks for the info. I'll be ordering mine since my Notch will be back from body/paint in May :D

heb Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:06 pm

One note they package these windshields really well. They are bagged and taped and then the box is filled with spary in foam so the windshield is secure. Awesome company.