TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: oil cooler stud ?
Tvättbjörn Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:16 pm

I changed the engine case to a late style case. Now I need an oil cooler bolt from 8mm to 6mm. The 8mm side goes into the case and the 6mm side is holding the cooler. The only stud I can get are too short, about one inch total. I need about 1/2 inch 8mm and more than one inch 6mm. Now the question: Where can I buy one??? Any info is helpfull. Thanks

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:04 am

Back in the days when VW admitted to making air cooled cars, the dealers had those studs. I have heard of people carefully drilling out the cooler to accept an 8mm stud.

Tvättbjörn Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:24 pm

Thanks for the note. I will check on monday if there is still a stud like this around. If not I will make an insert from 8 to 6mm and use a std cooler stud.

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:35 pm

I didn't think about that. It would work too, and probably be better than drilling out the cooler.

bugginmiami Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:53 pm

I had to do this. There might be a step stud available depending on your local resources, i couldnt find one... until after i was done. I drilled the cooler out, and it wasnt near enough where you could go to far. I obviously just drilled a little bit. It has to be bigger than the stud as you want it to move around and sit proplerly, not sit on the stud, and not line up right on the gaskets. mine has been leak free for a year now and it was the first time ive done such a rig, so id say it was easy.