TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cargo door side step Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
veedub Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:50 pm

i have been searching for a pair of cargo door side steps for a long time. the aluminum one that goes from jack point to jack point. does any one make repros of them? or does any one know of any for sale? thanks

langsmer Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:56 pm

you can probley just have one made.

veedub Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:16 pm

by anyone you can recomend?

Flipseat Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:37 pm

I think Bus Boys was selling them a while back. Perhaps they still are? I think the website is www.bus-boys.com.

veedub Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:48 pm

thanks, i knew someone would be able to point me in the right direction. i checked out the website and it still lists that they carry them. but will not know for sure until monday when i can call them. thanks again, has anyone out there seen these repros in person? how is the quality?
thanks

type2sr4me Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:59 pm

I know this is kinda off the subject but how about those mesh rock gaurds for the headlights?

Stanagon Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:28 pm

veedub wrote: thanks, i knew someone would be able to point me in the right direction. i checked out the website and it still lists that they carry them. but will not know for sure until monday when i can call them. thanks again, has anyone out there seen these repros in person? how is the quality?
thanks

Bus Boys steps are nice. The ends aren't like older ones, but they look nice and work well.

veedub Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:51 pm

what is the main difference with the end pieces compared to the originals? thanks

Lind Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:09 pm

the cool looking steps with the big cast aluminum ends are for bay window buses. the jack points are at a different angle on bays, so if you put a bay step on a splittie, then the top of the step part won't be flat to the world.

the bay steps do look way cooler than the original splittie steps. splittie steps are pretty hard to find, but they generally go for less money than bay window era steps.

Empicollector Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:45 am

Izz`s sells them:
http://www.izzssafariwindows.com/prodlist.htm

veedub Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:47 am

very nice lead there on the izz's site. i knew i had seen them polished for sale a while back. lind, would you say that the repros look more like the bay style or the split style?

abuspilot Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:51 am

type2sr4me wrote: I know this is kinda off the subject but how about those mesh rock gaurds for the headlights?

I see them go for $120+ for repros. I would get the kind that clip around the headlight chrome ring rather than the ones that requiring drilling. Here is the picture that made me have to get a pair.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=21040

type2sr4me Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:56 am

They are sick! I want some for my 23 window.

vwspijlbus Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:40 pm

Quote: rock gaurds for the headlights

:shock:

Real nice wanna have!

Lind Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:47 pm

veedub wrote: lind, would you say that the repros look more like the bay style or the split style?
all the repros that I have seen are the bay window style.

it would be fairly easy to fabricate one of the splittie style steps, just nobody has done it (as far as I know).

original splittie steps are pretty rare. not worth much, just rare

VWBobby Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Anyone have a side by side pic of the late model and early model side steps?? I'd like to know what I'm looking at, at the swap meets :D

Lind Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:23 pm

VWBobby wrote: Anyone have a side by side pic of the late model and early model side steps?? I'd like to know what I'm looking at, at the swap meets :D
splittie step:

VWBobby Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:40 pm

ahh yeah, the baywindow ones do look better. I'll have to keep my eye open for one this summer.

VWBobby Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:53 pm

This one on Clara's bus looks paralell to the ground..... looks like a baywindow also?

Lind Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:58 pm

VWBobby wrote: This one on Clara's bus looks paralell to the ground..... looks like a baywindow also?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/159088.jpg
that is an odd angle for the picture. that is a bay step.

I have never seen one of the bay style that had the right angle for a splittie. it would require a completely different casting.