TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: the Name-That-Clunk game. Page: 1, 2  Next
aussie01 Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:52 pm

I have recently noticed a clunk from the front of my '67 squareback. I haven't had the chance to look for it yet, but I wanna see if anyone can give me any tips of where to look. I notice the noise normally when I first leave my house after being parked for awhile. My first couple of stops are downhill, and if I brake firmly, I hear a clunk from the front, left side (I think) Once, it has clunked, i can't get it to do it again, but once I have parked awhile, I can normally get it to do it again. It doesn't have to be downhill though, it has happened on flat road as well. At first I thought it was some tools or my jack stand moving around, but I took them out and it still does it.
Any thoughts:?:

Tram Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:09 pm

Loose caliper, loose brake pad, something loose in the front end. THAT was brilliant, eh? :lol:

aussie01 Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:10 pm

well i've been crawling around under my sqbk, and I noticed that my upper torsion arms have quite a bit of play in them where it attaches to the beam. I don't know if this can cause a clunk sound but I'm sure it's not right.

Tram Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:27 pm

aussie01 wrote: well i've been crawling around under my sqbk, and I noticed that my upper torsion arms have quite a bit of play in them where it attaches to the beam. I don't know if this can cause a clunk sound but I'm sure it's not right.

It seems to me that I had that problem on one about 20 yrs ago. There should be a set screw/ locknut on the top of the RH upper torsion bar. Loosen the nut and back the set screw out. Then, in the middle of the torsion arm, facing you, there will be a 13MM bolt head. Snug that until there's no play in the arms. Don't crank it hard, just SNUG it. Then lock down the setscrew/ nut. Lube the front end, and hopefully that clunk is a goner.

aussie01 Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:43 pm

is that set screw/lock nut only on the passenger side? i was just checking it out and i see that the drivers side does not have this. On the top of the drivers side torsion arm there is a nut, but no set screw/bolt, and on the middle of the arm facing me there is nothing.

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:50 pm

aussie01 wrote: is that set screw/lock nut only on the passenger side? i was just checking it out and i see that the drivers side does not have this. On the top of the drivers side torsion arm there is a nut, but no set screw/bolt, and on the middle of the arm facing me there is nothing.
Is the bar on the LH side flush with the end of the torsion arm?? It should be. The one on the left is a pointed set screw. It should be fixed. The adjustable one is on the right. As Tram siad, just snug the center bolt on the RH side.

aussie01 Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:58 pm

the centre on the drivers side is flush,except for a small lip that sticks out a bit just on a small part of it. On the top, there is a nut, I couldn't look down on top of it, but it feels kinda hollow in the middle.
Well, i tightened the adjusting side up, and all the slop is gone!! there's still a bit of play if I grab the wheel at 12 and 6, bearings I'm guessing. I took it for a short test drive, and didn't notice any clunking, so i'm hoping problem solved.
thank you!

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Don't overtighten that adjustment, or you will put excessive wear on front end bushings. These bushinga are made from un-obtainium, so treat them right.
BTW, did you grease all 4 fittings while under there?? :D

Tram Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:20 pm

Mr. Wolfe, looks like we got us ANOTHER satisfied Kmart customer!!! :lol:

aussie01 Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:21 pm

I did not, time had run out. Where should the grease be applied?

Russ Wolfe Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:27 pm

aussie01 wrote: I did not, time had run out. Where should the grease be applied?

There are 4 fittings. 2 on the bottom of the beam, and to on the front of the beam, inside the rubber bushings under the beam clamps at the top. The top ones are hard to find, but find them. Them being dry could be why you had this current problem.

aussie01 Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:33 pm

it will be done!

aussie01 Sun May 01, 2005 7:56 pm

Well I greased it nice'n good and the clunk is still there :( I did determine that the clunk only happens once after braking firmly, but if I go in reverse, then brake firm again, it will clunk again, then it will clunk again when going forward. So what ever it is will clunk after each forward/reverse direction change The calipers are tight, I can't see or feel anything that is loose. The clunk sounds as though it is towards the centre or right side of the front.

Hmmmmmm :?:

Tram Sun May 01, 2005 8:04 pm

Check where the front end actually bolts to the car. See if you can tighten the bolts.

trox1 Mon May 02, 2005 8:57 pm

Mick, This is away from the other checks you've been doing but, do you have the foam insert for your spare? Maybe it is "clunking?" Or do you have that big crash bar that is part of the front bumper?

Good Luck

aussie01 Mon May 02, 2005 9:24 pm

I tightened the bolts on the front end. The pair by the pan needed a bit of a snug, but not much, the others were fine. But the clunk still happens after a forward or a reverse movement. I've checked the spare, it seams pretty snug, but there is no pad. Tomorrow I'll pull the spare and give it a shot.

aussie01 Wed May 04, 2005 6:38 pm

nope, not the spare.

Tram Wed May 04, 2005 6:47 pm

Now I'm desperate. Could there be something in the damn TANK rolling around???

aussie01 Wed May 04, 2005 7:08 pm

nah, wouldn't be that as it will only do it once when going forward and not again until I go into reverse and then it will clunk again and won't do it again until I go forwards again. If I grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and push/pull there is some play, bearings I assume. Could this be the source of the noise??
I've never replaced wheel bearings before, is this much of a job for a novice?? Any special tools needed?

Tram Wed May 04, 2005 9:02 pm

aussie01 wrote: nah, wouldn't be that as it will only do it once when going forward and not again until I go into reverse and then it will clunk again and won't do it again until I go forwards again. If I grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and push/pull there is some play, bearings I assume. Could this be the source of the noise??
I've never replaced wheel bearings before, is this much of a job for a novice?? Any special tools needed?

AHA! I think you have worn balls.... Ball joints, that is! :lol: Wheel bearings will give you play at 3 and 9 O'clock as well as at 12 and 6.
If you want to check ball joints properly, you'll have to have the wheel off the ground (car on jackstands) then gently jack up with a floor jack under the lower control arm. Jack it up just far enough so it isn't hanging free, but has some preload on the ball joints, and give her a gentle shake. Have an assistant look under the car to see which one(s) are bad. If it were my car and one was bad, I'd do all four, but that's me. Ball joints on a Type 3 aren't hard. They bolt in and out with no presswork. Repack and adjust bearings while you're there. Then get it aligned.

*WHETHER OR NOT THIS IS THE NOISE, that play shouldn't be there. :wink: