TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How much can I get?
NewbiePerson Mon May 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Hey guys, it's been awhile since i've posted but im finally about to get out on summer vacation and get some money to start working on my ghia. Anywho, I'm wanting to sell the old bug. I've actually got a little over 5k in it.
Here's the list
1600dp (i'm not sure but i've been told that the valve guides are going), dual kads, replaced steering box, new wiper motor, riviera wheels (195/50 in front 195/65 in back), aluminum door panels, front disc brakes (lowered spindles), 3/4 inch sway bar in front, 1 piece windows (don't work well) altenator conversion, CB performance filter thing (puts a litle filter in place of the sump), sony cdplayer in glove box, custom steering wheel, scat shifter (reverse lockout), 2* 100w pioneers in fiberglass kickpanels, 1 sub in back ($20 @ walmart), KYB GR-2's all around, pretty new wheel bearings, volt meter gauge, different gas gauge over to side, (an uninstalled precut carpet kit), and topped off with chrome pullies (blue faceplate), and a stinger exhaust (merged header). Now what I spent. Got the car for $1800 (bone stock), being naive at the time I had a used engine installed for $1200, spent another $500 having tierods replaced, wheel bearings etc. Then I did all the above to it. So all in all what would be a reasonable price.
Oh I forgot to mention, I did paint it, however, it was my first time so the body isn't exactly perfect (didn't really sand down far enough). So it isn't really perfect. The wiring isn't perfect either. The two rear fenders need replacing (someone hit one with a lawnmower, the wheel came off the other bought it out a litte). Now the suspension is a little worn in I guess, so it isn't handling as well as it was when everything was new :(
Anywho, all said and done does $3500 sound reasonable? (It does have a couple of rust spots where the one piece windows were installed). I'd like to get more if possible. I can use all the money I can get, I don't want to rip anyone off though.
The only image I can offer at the moment is here
http://www.dropjawmag.com/2004/freak4/freak4rides6.htm
It's halfway down on the left. Not a very great picture but it gives some idea.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Migit Mon May 02, 2005 4:04 pm

What year is it? Where are you located? How are the pans and heater shannels? all those will help you with your search. Look to see what other cars your year and condition sold for, you may be suprised that it is more or less what you want.

rloaircool Mon May 02, 2005 6:42 pm

I would say about $2,500, but it's hard to tell just seeing that one pic, and not looking at it in person.

NewbiePerson Mon May 02, 2005 7:03 pm

It's a 69, i'm in north carolina.
I got some more pics up
http://home.earthlink.net/~ghia61/images/mybug.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~ghia61/images/mybug2.jpg

bill may Wed May 04, 2005 7:43 pm

$50 as it is only good as a parts car on 58-67 beetle forum-you may get better offer on 68 and newer fat chick forum tho'