TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 1 Workshop Manual
ronhmason Wed May 04, 2005 10:25 am

Well, I've searched the Forum Archives and have been unable to find any specifics about what is the best Type 1 Workshop Manual.
Any ideas,
Ron

p.sullivan Wed May 04, 2005 11:29 am

as always, some people might tell you differently, but I have always used the John Muir Manual, How to Keep you Volkswagen Alive. It is easy to understand and pretty fun to read at times. Also, the Bently Manual is another, more technical, manual. I hear the combination of these two books pretty much cover anything and everything you might come across.

cheers.

volks67beetle Wed May 04, 2005 11:51 am

p.sullivan wrote: as always, some people might tell you differently, but I have always used the John Muir Manual, How to Keep you Volkswagen Alive. It is easy to understand and pretty fun to read at times. Also, the Bently Manual is another, more technical, manual. I hear the combination of these two books pretty much cover anything and everything you might come across.

cheers.

agreed. Some like The Haynes Manual, but it is British so you have to make sure you translate to the US english every once in a while...all three are good choices. It depends on what you want to do.... you might just find that the Samba might be a better choice for certain things.

79SuperVert Wed May 04, 2005 1:15 pm

"Bentley and Muir: Perfect Together" (with apologies to the old NJ tourism slogan)

ronhmason Wed May 04, 2005 2:21 pm

Are you talking about the Bentley manual put out by VWoA or the older Bentley manuals, such as the Type 11-14-15 up to the 1200cc engine?
Also, would the Bentley manual for Type 11-14-15 do me much good with my 1966 1300engine Beetle Convertible?
All ideas appreciated,
Ron

Teeroy Wed May 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Yes , Bently is the factory VW workshop manual , get the one that covers the year of your car , it will cover beetle sedan , convertible and Ghia. TROY

79SuperVert Wed May 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Here's a link to the Bentley Publishers web site and the manual for your car:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=V121