TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2000 Jetta coolant problem
69VWFan Wed May 04, 2005 11:05 am

I was going to add some coolant to my friends 2000 Jetta 2.0L and there is not a cap on the radiatior... So, I figured I had to top it off at the overflow tank, but it does not seem to make it from the overflow to the radiator...? I have read that the system may need "burped" of the air. From what I understand this is done by removing the upper radiator hose, opening the overflow cap, starting the car and slightly revving the engine while filling at the upper hose. Once the coolant starts coming from the block the system should be "burped"....

Is this correct?

Are there any other things I should be looking at?

When the engine is warm both hoses are warm, so I am assuming that the water pump is functioning properly....

Any help would be appreciated.

VDubTech Thu May 05, 2005 5:49 am

Was the coolant low? Car overheating? 2.0 Jetta waterpumps have a plastic impellar on them that is notorious for breaking. All coolant is filled through the overflow tank. Don't remove any hoses. The overflow tank is the highest point of the system, top it off and run the car with the cap off the overflow tank and it will burp air out automatically. Run it up to temp, cap it off, and you should be good to go.

69VWFan Thu May 05, 2005 7:21 am

First, THANK YOU for the reply!!!

The car was overheating.... I tried the method you suggested, but when I revved the engine slightly it spit the coolant right out of the overflow bottle.... What do you think??? Would this be caused by a bad water pump? The owner assures me that they have always used the correct (pink) coolant for the car, so I hope it is not a clogging issue.

Thanks!

VDubTech Sat May 07, 2005 4:29 am

no need to rev the engine while doing this, just let it sit there and idle until it comes up to temp.

GONZALOR Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:02 pm

I ALSO HAVE A JETTA... 2000, 2.0LT ENGINE, 30,000 MILES, AN OLD LADY USED IT TO GO TO THE SUPERMARKET FOR 8 YEARS... BOUGHT IT 1 MONTH AGO, AND THIS WEEK IT STARTED OVERHEATING. CHANGED THE TEMPERATURE BULB AND THERMOSTAT. IT STILL HEATS UP... I BURPED THE SYSTEM, BUT THE ENGINE WAS HOT. NOW THE FANS TURN ON WHEN THE TEMPERATURE METER IS 3/4 UP (120), ALMOST WHEN THE OVERHEAT ALARM TURNS ON... AND THE TEMPERATURE STARTS DROPING DOWN AGAIN. THE FANS TURN OFF WHEN THE METER IS 1/2 WAY UP (90). WHY DOES THE FAN TURN ON LATE? WILL BURPING THE SYSTEM WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD HELP? I WILL PUT A RADIATOR FLUSH TOMORROW. HOW DO I KNOW IF THE WATER PUMP IS GOOD? WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO? TKS.

mike yapps Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:23 am

I believe they used plastic impellers on those waterpumps. I've seen them break off before. Aftermarket replacements are metal. When they break it acts like a blown headgasket. The coolant isn't flowing and the engine overheats.

ManxBug Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:34 am

I think those plastic impellers are on the recall list. But they only fix it if they break.

GONZALOR Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:27 pm

THE TEMPERATURE BULB BASE BURSTED WHEN I WAS FLUSHING THE RADIATOR, SO I AM ALMOST SURE IT IS THE WATER PUMP NOT PUMPING THE WATER AND GIVING FALSE READINGS... CAN THIS CAUSE THE FANS TO TURN ON LATE? AND TEMPERATURE TO COME DOWN VERY FAST AFTER IT OVERHEATS? MONDAY THE MECHANIC WILL CHECK THE WATER PUMP. CAN YOU SUGGEST ANYTHING ELSE?

GONZALOR Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:23 pm

changed: timing belt, thermostat, engine temp bulb, radiator temp bulb, water pump, and radiator... everything is ok now. the pump was broken. the radiator was clogged too, do you know how these radiators can be cleaned... i used a flush and it didnīt work.