TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is there a "how to" with pictures for precudures/m
solarscar Wed May 04, 2005 10:05 pm

Hello, I found a couple sites that tell you how to do certain things like timing/idle, sparkplug changes and a bunch of other stuff, but there's no pictures. Are there any sites out there i can use to help do some maintenance/repair work that have written instructions along with pictures?

oc63rag Wed May 04, 2005 10:25 pm

Buy a manual. I got a Haynes manual for about $10. It's not great but it's a good reference.

volks67beetle Thu May 05, 2005 5:03 am

they are out there....

here are a few (my vw club's and my own site)

I have not found too many that have pics...so as stated before get a repair manual, like bentley, haynes and even the idiot book (how to keep your volkswagen alive, for the complete idiot- John Muir)

www.geocities.com/bsvwoc/links
www.geocities.com/volks67beetle/links

TeamSpatula Thu May 05, 2005 6:30 am

I recommend the Bentley manual...also, depending on where you are, there may be local VW clubs around...I myself have found the best way for me to learn stuff is to be more hands on, and have someone looking over my shoulder that can stop me from doing something drastically wrong...
Other than that, there are a lot of smart folks on here that can help with specific questions.

nimbus Thu May 05, 2005 7:30 am

Do a search on Bug Me Videos.

The first one is general maintenance, oil change, spark plugs, compression, timing, valve adjustment, etc....

pantone149 Thu May 05, 2005 1:16 pm

Check into what your local junior college, high school, or adult education programs are offering. Lots of times there are auto repair classes offered for the total novice.