TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hit and Run early this morning 5/8. We caught him Page: 1, 2  Next
bugboy1 Sun May 08, 2005 2:58 pm

Is this totalled? The damage is way worse then you can really see , but you get the idea..Thanks for your opinions guys..

Glenn Sun May 08, 2005 3:01 pm

It can be fixed. But it will cost some money.

Is the heater channel bent also?

60vwnewengland Sun May 08, 2005 3:02 pm

i'm guessing the fender is gone. that was some hit huh?

bugboy1 Sun May 08, 2005 3:07 pm

It doesnt look like the heater channel is bent.. but what about the piller?? You can fix that? H was going about 50 and tried to make a right turn.. Ofcourse he was drunk..

iowegian Sun May 08, 2005 3:11 pm

60vwnewengland wrote: i'm guessing the fender is gone. that was some hit huh?
Nah-- a little Bondo will make that fender like new.

Teeroy Sun May 08, 2005 6:58 pm

Totalled :YES (from an insurance cost side) Fixable : VERY , a fender or two (can't see the front ) a door , a few pulls on the post and quarter maybe a quarter skin . Don't let them take your car or lowball you on a payoff , bring up some comparable cars on Ebay and old car guide to show them what your car is worth . Then do a little research on body shops in your area that are familiar with VWs or quality restorations (stay away from the normal insurance production shops) and put that thing back on the road . TROY

bugboy1 Sun May 08, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks guys. It's def. going back on the road.On NADA Guides it shows that a 64 bug average retail is worth 4775 and high retail is 8975. So i figure they have to go inbetween those numbers.. Back on the road we go... :D

iowegian Sun May 08, 2005 8:40 pm

You said they caught the guy. Tell us more about that.

bugboy1 Sun May 08, 2005 10:13 pm

My cousin was accross the street about to go to bed when he heard a car flying down the street then a screech sound then the crunch of the bug. he was ouside by the time the guy got down the street and i was in my other car chasing him down. he stopped about a block away and got out of the car.. I ran up on him told him to stay where he was and not say a word or i was going to beat the living shit out of him. he shut up the cops came and he admited everything. Gave him the breathalizer and away he went for DUI and Hit and Run.. I just want my bug the way it was.. I have alot of money in that thing.

Bruce Mon May 09, 2005 2:00 am

You'd be wise to hit the guy up before the trial. That way he still has money before the judge and lawyers take it away.

Dr.Don Mon May 09, 2005 2:09 am

Hey Bugboy, sorry to hear that. Nice job catching that POS. Ain't SL swell? Too many dickless weasels runnin around here thinkin they're unaccountable.
Where you at? I've lived on Bancroft by the high school the last 6 years. In that time we've seen 4 or 5 hit'n'(attempted)runs.

One was ACTransit, a professional fer chrisakes, who claimed she didn't know she hit anything, funny all the witnesses on her bus knew.

Another high / drunk moron in a white Caddy clipped 2 parked cars, damn near killed my daughter getting out of a friends Jeep, and finally crashed into a big parked truck by GirlsInc. Cindy saw this freak show coming at her, could only jump back into the Jeep and watch the path of destruction unfold past her.

Then last month my wife took out some garbage, heard / saw a crash, and caught some DUI bizznitch sloppily trying to disentangle her shit from our neighbors bfs new Escalade. I swear, I think there's some kind of condensed gravity / magnetism going on in this one block of Bancroft. To say nothing of the greasy coward sneakthieves.

Anyhow, good job nailing this TURD. One more off the streets, at least for tonight. SLPD needs action men like you & your cuz.

p.s.
Palace Garage tow-driver to Escalade owner: "That shit'll buff out!"
Cops: Laughing asses off.

DrDarby Mon May 09, 2005 6:55 am

A few bugs ago I had a '65 that was hit on the right side almost identically and I was able to fix it without even replacing the 1/4 panel using a friends frame machine to do the pulling and heating... tapping as we went.
I was lucky enough to have a good door sitting in my shed too.

6vE Mon May 09, 2005 5:18 pm

Sorry to see that...

I lived in Hayward for a long time and things are about the same there. Move to Fremont or Newark if you can!

Good luck with it, and nice job catching the punk!

sovereignsamba Mon May 09, 2005 9:24 pm

ouch :( I hate to see that happen. I can't imagine what I would do if someone hit me like that..... I chase people down, throw things at them, & harrass that shit out of people when they just cut me off, or the time someone ran a red light & almost hit me, I chased them down & when they parked & walked into the gas station I took a baseball bat to thier drivers window & took off. Keep in mind they almost killed me & my girlfriend.

sovereignsamba Mon May 09, 2005 9:26 pm

Also, your bug may have taken a hit for you, but at least you're ok, & you caught the guy! :wink:

walter kandetzki Tue May 10, 2005 12:50 am

when i was in highschool some teenage bought a super clean marina blue 74 superbeetle all restored and he went to turn onto route one and some woman T boned the bug and totaled it.my dad said he saw it and it was messed up pretty bad.too bad i couldnt have yanked the chrome stock wheels and the motor out of it.

bugboy1 Sun May 15, 2005 10:21 pm

The insurance company is trying to offer me 3500 for my bug. Thats total loss.. What do you guys think? Take the 3500 and sue the guy who hit it for the rest? Thanks. This sucks.

Claire Sun May 15, 2005 10:56 pm

Wow, what a story! I'm glad no one was hurt. It could have been so much worse. I'm glad you caught the guy.

I guess the thing to do would be to make an honest assessement of if you can repair or replace your bug for $3500, including labor. If not, perhaps some repair estimates and ads for similar cars would be helpful.

bugboy1 Mon May 16, 2005 10:24 pm

I got a few quotes but nobody will touch it around here. Just labor was going to cost me 3000 so the 3500 wont even get me half way. I'm into this bug 3 times that much so I guess I have to take the loss and try to sue the guy for all the reciepts I have.. Anyone looking to sell a nice oval for around 5000 to 7000 in the Bay Area?Thanks guys/gals

Buggeroff Tue May 17, 2005 7:02 am

bugboy1 wrote: I got a few quotes but nobody will touch it around here. Just labor was going to cost me 3000 so the 3500 wont even get me half way. I'm into this bug 3 times that much so I guess I have to take the loss and try to sue the guy for all the reciepts I have.. Anyone looking to sell a nice oval for around 5000 to 7000 in the Bay Area?Thanks guys/gals

All the reciepts in the world aren't going to help you unless you have an agreed valuation with your insurer.
Push the insurance company and ask them where they got the estimated value from. If you can prove that your car is worth more, they will pay more, but sticking a $2,000 stereo in a $500 car doesn't make the car worth $2500. BTW, even without seeing your damage in person, you should get that fixed for less than the pay off. Chris.