TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: proper way to remove the turnsignal/wiper switch assemblly?
karfer67 Wed May 11, 2005 10:28 am

how the heck do you get this thing off with out breaking it? i removed it to replace my ignition and it exploded in my hands. now i can get a new one to replace it but what is the trick? there is not much help in any of the work books.

blankmange Wed May 11, 2005 10:35 am

karfer67 wrote: how the heck do you get this thing off with out breaking it? i removed it to replace my ignition and it exploded in my hands. now i can get a new one to replace it but what is the trick? there is not much help in any of the work books.

if I remember correctly, there a four thin screws that hold it in place in the ignition/steering assembly... if it is still in the car, it is attached by wires through the column and the two hoses for the wipers/washer....

karfer67 Wed May 11, 2005 10:39 am

oh yes and this is a late square if that helps any. yea blank i removed all those and it still would not come out. it was held in by the wires.

Russ Wolfe Wed May 11, 2005 10:42 am

The wires plug in at the bottom of the column. Does your '72 have the wiper switch on the column also?? If so, unhook the washer hoses too before comes out.

blankmange Wed May 11, 2005 10:42 am

karfer67 wrote: oh yes and this is a late square if that helps any. yea blank i removed all those and it still would not come out. it was held in by the wires.

yeah, I remember you have a late square (like I do)... the wires along the bottom of the steering column are attached to the turn signal assembly.. they need to be disconnected before pulling the assembly, along with the wiper/washer connections...

karfer67 Wed May 11, 2005 2:35 pm

do you mean the black plugs where the wires go in? there are three of them two for the wipers and one for the turn signals. the other one goes to the ignition switch. trouble is i DID unplug these and it still would not come out. are they screwed in there or something?

Russ Wolfe Wed May 11, 2005 2:53 pm

There might be a clip around the "pipes" for the washer valve.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/partsbook/ts_switch
There is the exploded view.