TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: one for the vintage gurus Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
bbugman74 Sun May 15, 2005 8:34 pm

I have a 62 notch. The interior , from what I can tell, is original. It has the wrap arround dash and the gray over houndstooth upholstrey. The only thing that confuses me is the arm rests in bolth front and back are red. :lol: The dash and wraparround trim and steering wheel are all black. My question is were the red arm rests an option? (my car has many of the dealer options installed ie: seatbelts, chrome shifter, mirrors etc.) Or was the PO a bit of a customizer? thanks for sharing your knowledge with a type 3 neophyte like myself. :D

ibjack Sun May 15, 2005 8:45 pm

Come on now, you can't talk about a car like this and not give up pictures. BTW, what's the production date? Check your vin on this site to find out.

notchboy Sun May 15, 2005 8:51 pm

The arm rests should be grey. Front and rear. Red armrests are a 66-67 thing. Do your armrests have chrome trim on them? Look through the archives here on this site for numerious pics of how a 62 T3 interior should look. And post some pics like Jack said. :wink:

bbugman74 Mon May 16, 2005 10:24 am

From my best estimation it was built in August of 1961 making it a 1962 year model. I don't have any pics of the interior at this time. The interior is trashed but the arm rests are still soft and pliable( due to the upper door panels folding over and shielding them from sun & rain :? ) I'll post pics soon. From what I can tell the upholsterey is correct for a 61-62. thanks for the help. :D

bbugman74 Mon May 16, 2005 10:26 am

no chrome trim and arm rests are of the one piece variety (not the later 3 piece with the chrome.) 8)

EverettB Mon May 16, 2005 10:31 am

I have never heard of or seen red arm rests as an option.

Pictures will decide...

Is it a chrome shifter that is not the stock chrome shifter?
What mirrors?
I'll be interested to see what dealer accessories it has...

notchboy Mon May 16, 2005 10:44 am

Some unrestored original 62 doors.

Rusted Rockers Mon May 16, 2005 10:53 am

from what i know the red would be a option in 66 i had a red interior square with everything in red like the dash,doorpanels,steeringwheel,seat bases,carpet,seatcovers,and the mat behind the seats, and the rear fender arches in the back. so far as i know its a option...

typfasty Mon May 16, 2005 12:36 pm

How long have you had the notch? Was is purchased near where you live?

PIMPPRIDE Mon May 16, 2005 2:59 pm

its the grey color...

the grey color just faded off the arm rests... how? I have no clue, what VW used I have no clue,

I have EARLY NOS black arm rests that never seen the light of day OR been on a car, and they are now olive green... just from sitting on the shelf,

the black just faded off and disappeared over the years, it makes sense to start with red base to make a top coat finish in grey...

Anthony / ISP WEST

63SunNotch Mon May 16, 2005 3:39 pm

Post pics!!!

And Jason stop showing off your panels. :D

Russ Wolfe Mon May 16, 2005 6:07 pm

63SunNotch wrote: Post pics!!!

And Jason stop showing off your panels. :D

Is Jason "Flashing" again?? :lol:

EverettB Mon May 16, 2005 6:21 pm

Are those "my" panels from my ex-'63 Notchback?

The pockets look messed up!

I've had various black and grey arm rests in various conditions, they were all still black or grey. Some were a little faded but they still looked black or grey.

notchboy Mon May 16, 2005 9:48 pm

Why yes I resemble that remark. And yes those are your exnotch pannels. Much brighter and crisper than what was in there. I could post some pics of my 63s interior if interested :wink: :roll:

bbugman74 Tue May 17, 2005 6:08 am

I found it at an undisclosable location within the confines of OK. I cannot tell you where as the old man I bought it from told me not to send anyone else. :( He has LOADS of t-3 parts Email me with requests and I'll go look. :D Pics of car are pending its not at my house it's accross town at a friends shop so I'll have to wait till this weekend until I can get over there to take pics :oops:

bbugman74 Tue May 17, 2005 6:10 am

hey tpyfsty wherein ok are you located?

bbugman74 Tue May 17, 2005 6:33 am

my shifter is exactly the same as Jason Weigel's is on the 1500 club site. the seat belts are approx. 3"-3.5" wide and go accross the shoulder only (no lap belt) upper part attaches to B-pillar and latch end attaches to center hump. hope this helps.

EverettB Tue May 17, 2005 10:19 am

This shifter?
http://www.the1500club.com/pics/members/weigel62/done4.jpg

That is stock.

The seat belts sound like original shoulder belts. Cool.
Do they have the VW emblem on them?

notchboy Tue May 17, 2005 1:30 pm

Who can guess whats wrong with the above pic :?: :?:

typfasty Tue May 17, 2005 1:51 pm

bbugman74 wrote: hey typfasty wherein ok are you located?

Tulsa...I'd be interested in seeing the notch. Not many type 3's locally :?