TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Towing question
Iozzio Wed May 18, 2005 3:55 am

Anyone see a problem with using a tow dolly or a custom tow bar to tow a type 3 with an automatic tranny. Anything special I would need to do to be able to do this? Thanks

notchback Wed May 18, 2005 6:44 am

185hp/turbo wrote: Anyone see a problem with using a tow dolly or a custom tow bar to tow a type 3 with an automatic tranny. Anything special I would need to do to be able to do this? Thanks
Unbolt the axles from the car. You should not tow an automatic with the rear wheels on the ground unless they are disconnected from the transmission. You will kill the tranny. I know Air Cooled Nut will jump in here and say only use a trailer and keep all the wheels off the ground. Very good advice. If you must use a dolly though, DISCONNECT THE AXLES!

Air-Cooled Head Wed May 18, 2005 7:36 am

notchback wrote: I know Air Cooled Nut will jump in here and say only use a trailer and keep all the wheels off the ground. Very good advice.

He's not the only one. 4 up or 4 down is what I say.

Russ Wolfe Wed May 18, 2005 5:53 pm

I towed my '66 on a dolly. And lost a wheel less than a mile from the sellers house.
Yes, you HAVE to pull the axle shafts. If you don't, the govenor will be trash in short order. I spins with no lubrication, when towed.