TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Revcounter; how to connect?
Holmen Sun May 22, 2005 9:32 am

This is a Tacho Thomas replica. I have no experience with this instrument or with revcounters in general so please help: which wires go where?
Thanks

Russ Wolfe Sun May 22, 2005 1:03 pm

Where is Neal when you need him. He is the Tach man here.

josh Sun May 22, 2005 3:16 pm

I guessing that thing cost some serious $$$. You'd think they would label the terminals. :?

BTW, where did you get it and how much?

notchback Sun May 22, 2005 6:47 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Where is Neil when you need him. He is the Tach man here. Here I am :D
Tacho-Thomas uses the VDO Cockpit International series of gauges to repop the Type 3 tach. Here's the wiring diagram for you tach:

Terminal 4 on the tach should go to terminal 1 on the coil. Terminal 3 on the tach is the ground. Terminal 2 goes to the 12V + on the fuse box.

Here's my Type 3 Tach page with what I've managed to collect so far:
http://neil.us/type3/tach/

Holmen Sun May 22, 2005 10:28 pm

Thanks Neil.
The instrument came with a SQ I bought and costs around 250$. Worth it, I think. I believe you can contact Tacho-Thomas( the maker) directly: [email protected]

jimmynotch Wed May 25, 2005 12:42 am

I have the same tach and I am not !00% stoked on it. The needle doesn't seem to register rpms very accuratly and when the head lights are on, the bulb in the tach is much brighter and a totally different shade of green than the stock gauges. I ended up mouting mine below and to the left of the steering wheel next to my stereo because it just didn't look right next to the other gauges in the dash. Anyone got a real grey faced tach for sale? :)

Russ Wolfe Wed May 25, 2005 7:14 pm

have you got a kidney to sell, to pay for it?? :twisted: