TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: FUKENGRUVEN means? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
thegoodfight7211 Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:46 pm

My Bus had a "farfrompuken" sticker on one of the cupboard doors when I bought it, but I took it off because I thought it was lame.

I could go for "fukenbroken" though...that is more fitting. :lol: :lol:

OvalinAz Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:09 pm

i have 1 thats says fukenbroken with a guy angry and his car smoking from the engine :)

Desertbusman Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 pm

classic_car_girl08 wrote: I was wondering what FUKENGRUVEN means? :

I think it's a term from the 60's hippie era. When everyone was gruvin' with the free love.

ach60 Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 am

Ghoti wrote: Icy wrote: JeffDeWitt wrote: Everyone was a nubie once, even you. :roll:

Hey! Not all of us came with the site! :wink:

Playing at VWPlanet at work, and one day it changed to thesamba.
Seems like a long time ago.

thegoodfight7211 Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Probably because it was a long time ago! I was in 7th grade then. I think you have the earliest "joined" date I've seen yet. Aside of Everett of course. :lol:

MassGAL Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Maybe I can help you all out with the definition of FUKENGRUVEN, as I am the original designer and registered copyright owner.
I came up with the name after mis-reading a fahrvergnugen sticker, and thought it said FUKENGRUVEN. The dancing stick figure is of one of the Grateful Dead dancing bears, and the 5 lines in front of the word are representative of LSD "trails", my copyright information makes a sixth "trail".
I purposely left out the "C" in FUKENGRUVEN for a number of reasons. Of course obscenity was a factor, I was traveling on Dead tour through the South, and didn't want to end up in jail. But by leaving out the"C", the design became not only more balanced with the "G" in the very center, but also more foreign looking. The name on the copyright, 1992 GEEZ, is a play on my name, Geoffrey. My nickname used to be G, so my things were G's, --- spelled out phonetically is GEEZ. It also balanced the four numbers of the copyright year. The last explanation of my copyright name is kinda like "oh, GEEZ".

So, what is the definition of FUKENGRUVEN? That's a tough one, it's actually more of a response to the craziness of all the bright colored imagery, not only on Grateful Dead
tour, but also in our everyday lives. I kept the design ONLY black & white to show that life can be a little simpler, and in doing so, you can find your own TRUE groove, and be truly "FUKENGRUVEN".

Guard Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:39 am

Fukenstinkfoot

Low67vdubinnocal Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:19 pm

I got mine at a Bugorama Sacramento back in the 90's from a couple of kids. Whats left of it is still on the back window of the 71 bug my kid now owns.

MassGAL Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:04 pm

That was probably me and a girlfriend of mine, maybe 1993 or 1994? We were in our mid-20's then.
My Facebook page is --- www.Facebook.com/fukengruven

greggholmes Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:39 pm

3 blonds in a vw?

Farfromthinkun

Low67vdubinnocal Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:59 pm

MassGAL wrote: That was probably me and a girlfriend of mine, maybe 1993 or 1994? We were in our mid-20's then.

Sounds about right couple of kids sellin stickers for $4 or $5 each. My guess is you didnt get rich from the fukengruven sticker sales.

MassGAL Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:38 pm

I actually did very well, and had over 250 accounts by the time I decided to close shop. After the Dead stopped touring, running a business just to run a business seemed pointless. I ended up selling almost all the contents of my house and workshop in San Francisco, fitting what was left into a 5'x7' storage box. Inspired by the John Steinbeck novel, TRAVELS WITH CHARLIE, I bought a 1970 Westy and hit the road for the summer. The summer ended up to be 2-1/2 years, working occasionally for extra cash, not touching my savings.
I'm pretty comfortable where I am now, and FUKENGRUVEN is just one of the many things I've done.

Low67vdubinnocal Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Was that a lifetime warranty that came with my sticker ? I cant seem to find my stickers warranty card. Good to hear you had fun and made a few bucks on the stickers.

Liveonjg Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:48 pm

This is on the back of my bus:

-John

1977_L63H_P27 Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:36 am

1977_L63H_P27 wrote: classic_car_girl08 wrote: I was wondering what FUKENGRUVEN means? I have not a clue!! :?:

I believe this particular take off was actually spelled "Funkengruven", as in a musical sense. But I have seen planty of other stickers that started out with "Fuken...". My favorite had two stick people gettin' busy and the caption was "Fahrfromcummin". Peace!

I still like the music/dance version the best. Peace!

climberbob1 Yesterday 9:01 am

I can't find it currently, but when I was looking for the sticker, I ran across a blog on it, and (supposedly, and for some reason, I believe it) the girl who originally designed it chimed in. Yes, she based it on the Farfegnugen (sp?), but there was a lot of Grateful Dead influence in it: The leading lines preceeding the text were supposed to be acid trails, and the guy dancing on the right was supposed to be representative of the "dancing bears" - which, I was never a big Dead Head, but I have no idea on the connection of the Dead and dancing bears, but from that era, I'm sure there could be something that an avid Dead Head would know.

Desertbusman Yesterday 9:10 am

climberbob1 wrote: I can't find it currently, but when I was looking for the sticker, I ran across a blog on it, and (supposedly, and for some reason, I believe it) the girl who originally designed it chimed in. Yes, she based it on the Farfegnugen (sp?), but there was a lot of Grateful Dead influence in it: The leading lines preceeding the text were supposed to be acid trails, and the guy dancing on the right was supposed to be representative of the "dancing bears" - which, I was never a big Dead Head, but I have no idea on the connection of the Dead and dancing bears, but from that era, I'm sure there could be something that an avid Dead Head would know.
So did you read the prior posts in this thread? It's all there.

climberbob1 Yesterday 10:55 am

No, I didn't read all three pages of posting - I'm at work and doing it quickly - didn't even realize there were 3 pages till I got notification of your comment. Just trying to help - I was surprised to not have seen a more recent post than the dates on that first page! LOL!

hitest Yesterday 5:56 pm

What a thread revival- or dead revival. I love the person who somehow copyrighted copyright-protected promo material from VWoA- and claimed in 9 lines that it is legit! Must have been during the Clinton era.

Like it or not- a play on trademarked words and art, with a dash of angel dust does not copyright material make. It makes a few stickers to hawk at a Dead show. The reason VW didn't go after them? Like the rest of us- they were amazed at the resourcefulness of people who'll sell anything for paraphernalia. 8)