TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Best Squareback Year Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
chuy Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:33 am

Hey guys,

Looking for info regarding the best squareback year to buy. My research tells me that a 62-63 would have too many parts that are hard to find. Beyond that what do you guys recomend as far as styling and availability of parts?
Everett tells me the 62-65 is the better styling, any advise?

Thanks

blankmange Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:37 am

chuy wrote: Hey guys,

Looking for info regarding the best squareback year to buy. My research tells me that a 62-63 would have too many parts that are hard to find. Beyond that what do you guys recomend as far as styling and availability of parts?
Everett tells me the 62-65 is the better styling, any advise?

Thanks

71 - 72

EFI, IRS and the best ventilation system... without all the smog controls the 73 had....

and I like the late styling...

Mr. Bubblehead Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:39 am

'71, with early bumpers :lol:

blankmange Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:47 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: '71, with early bumpers :lol:

of course...

now that you brought Tram out of the woodwork....

vw4life269s Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:09 am

me personally, I researched and found that the 1969 year was the best. 8) I have one because it has IRS and still the early body style and I like the front bullet turn signals,also came with disc brakes up front too! :D But its totally up to you, your personal preference.

notchback Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:23 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: '71, with early bumpers :lol:
Amen to that Brother. Same as mine :)

BTW, did you know I bought mine in Missouri??

blankmange Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:40 am

notchback wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote: '71, with early bumpers :lol:
Amen to that Brother. Same as mine :)

BTW, did you know I bought mine in Missouri??

mine was from Kansas..... midwest Type 3's all over the place

MikeD Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:22 am

I would go with the '69 Squareback, I think the front end got a little more square in the early 70's?. I had one in San Diego years ago and miss it.
Anyone know of one for sale in the MA / NH area?

chuy Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:38 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I really like the bullet front turn signals, what year were they available?

Kenaneu Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:40 am

I'd definitely have to concur that 69 is the year to own, in that you can keep it stock, and still have IRS, FI, and a nice body to boot. I've got love for all years, but 69 is ideal.

Russ Wolfe Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:40 am

Actually, the '70 and newer, has the better aerdynamics, and road holding at speed. The design causes the air flow around the car instead of over and under it. The front hood line on an early style is like the leading edge on an airplane wing. The nose gets light at speed.
Also, the later body style. has the better passenger crash survivability. That is one reason they put the extra length into it, and added the body stiffeners into the front quarter panels. That is a crush zone. But the box reinforcement also was a major source of rust. That is one thing to check on a late style.

60DoubleTurd Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:42 am

Bullets are 61-63 and 68-69. I would go with a 64-65 S if I were you. They have early parts that arent too hard to find and look nice, but they have early wrap arounds and not bullets.

Air_Cooled_Nut Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:00 am

Russ, didn't '71 get better brakes? (guessing on the year).

Anyway, the later the model the better it will generally be as the engineers have worked out most of the bugs :wink: As for body style, early vs. late, it's a personal style and neither is any better than the other except where Russ noted. My personal preference is the late style, the early bodies have that 'weak chin' look...but I grew up in my baby so yes, I am biased :D

blankmange Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:02 am

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote: Russ, didn't '71 get better brakes? (guessing on the year).

Anyway, the later the model the better it will generally be as the engineers have worked out most of the bugs :wink: As for body style, early vs. late, it's a personal style and neither is any better than the other except where Russ noted. My personal preference is the late style, the early bodies have that 'weak chin' look...but I grew up in my baby so yes, I am biased :D

they did change the brakes after '70

Tram Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:16 am

"Best" is a term with a wide range of possible meanings. For me, it would be one of three variants (pun intended):
1) a late 1961 or early 62- VERY early car, all original, for the vintage coolness factor.
2) 1969- Old body style, FI, IRS, Disc brakes, 12 volt. The absolute best of all worlds.
3) Late 1973 with A/C and automatic. Comfort, reliability, safety, and aerodynamics.
Purist that I am, if I could only have one, I'd PROBABLY pick the early one, although I may go for the '69 just as easily. I'd keep the original bumpers on the '73 if I had that one. :lol: But then, my daily driver, that I drive EVERYWHERE, in a 1960 Benz, so I have no trouble relying on oldies... at least until I get off my ass and get the Type 34 finished. It's a '66 though... I'm not sure I can deal with owning a late model car.

Daniel_Baum Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:33 am

Tram wrote: so I have no trouble relying on oldies... at least until I get off my ass and get the Type 34 finished. It's a '66 though... I'm not sure I can deal with owning a late model car.

Actually I'd say '69 is the best year for the Type 34 too :D

The reasons are exactly those you mentioned above - 12V, IRS, disk brakes, automatic transmission etc.

Now if I could just get some of the other Type 34 Registry members to agree with me :?

notchboy Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:47 am

Id say 67 as it has a cool old flare to it. 64-65 if you want more of a challenge "if" you do a stock resto. :wink:

Russ Wolfe Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:55 am

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote: Russ, didn't '71 get better brakes? (guessing on the year).

Mid '72 was the brake change.

Mr. Bubblehead Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:02 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Mid '72 was the brake change.
I just looked at my '70 and '71...brakes are the same on both of them.

blankmange Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:12 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Mid '72 was the brake change.
I just looked at my '70 and '71...brakes are the same on both of them.

I had purchased brake drums and rotors for my '70, which is no longer in my possession and noticed that the drums are different than on my '72... so I got to buy drums for it too....

I will hold on to the drums/rotors for a future project, however....