TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: engine replacement choices
aussie01 Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:55 pm

I'm looking for a new engine for my 67 squareback. Ideally I would like to go with a 1776, but unfortunatley finances will dictate what I go for.I realise that a new engine is the best case scenario but it also demands the highest $$. What about a rebuilt engine like this? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=93444
What can I expect in the long run of new v's rebuilt?
My sqaureback is not exactly my daily driver, but most weekends and on and off during the week. Apart from driving to shows, the rest of my driving is mostly local. I would like the extra power of a 1776, but it's not entirley necessary.

Russ Wolfe Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:34 am

That engine pictured is a T-1, not a T-3. No place for the dipstick tube. A 40 over case, and a 20 under crank would bother me. At least one of them should be standard.
And, the longevity of an engine all depends on the quality that the builder puts into it.
He also doesn't mention case saver for the head studs.
Why not rebuild one for yourself. Most of the parts can be bought for under $250 if you shop around.

FASTBACKDON Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:39 am

although I do agree with russ on the over 40 case and under 20 crank in that motor pictured I know steve he will build you a very reliable 1776 keep in mind he is always busy so if you ask him to build you a motor there will be a time issue I have a 1776 in my fastback and love it
I would contact steve at serrano's for his pricing and motor options

aussie01 Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:59 am

I do realise that the motor in the pic is a T1, I just used it as an example. I contacted Steve and he will also do a type 3. I thought about the possibilty of building myself, but then , as you mentioned, the quality issue is a determining factor in the longevity and with my lack engine experience building experience how good could it be. Also, once I bought the tools to build it right, my expense would be going up.

Tvättbjörn Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 pm

Since you are in Oceanside, give Adrian from HEADFLOW MASTERS in Vista a call. He did some machine work and a real good full flow job on my case (no 10 fittings needed to run hoses to the filter). Prices are great - compared to the high quality he does.