TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Headlights suddenly stopped working!
Nid Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:02 pm

Driving out of my work at around midnight last night, my headlights suddenly cut out working while I was driving. The running lights stay on, rear lights are on, just the headlights themselves turned off. I tried clicking my brights switch, and theres no power going to that as I didn't hear the little click noise I usually hear when you switch between brights and normals.

Where should I start searching for problems? All the lights except the headlights work, all the wire connections are solid, and no fuses are blown. Would it be the switch itself? The pull switch on the dash? Any of the other little relay dealies under the hood? I'm horrible at diagnosing electrical problems.

dstefun Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:30 pm

On your 67 or 72? I'd check the headlight relay in either case. For the 67, power from the light switch terminal #56 is at relay terminal #56. Check it with a test light or voltmeter with the headlight switch on. Power out from the relay is terminal # 56a or terminal F (for high & low beams). The relay is your most logical suspect, since you say it no longer clicks. If you don't know which relay it is, follow the wire from #56 on the light switch. The relay probably has # 111-941-583 on it.

The relay is readily available - $22 from WW
http://wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941583

But since it's the same relay on almost all VW's 67-79, go find a PickNPull yard and find one. They're probably $3 that way. :wink:

Nid Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:04 pm

That looks similar to the little metal can that says 12 volts on the side, is that the relay I'm looking for?

I'm not actually with my car right now, so I'm just kind of asking blindly. I took my parents' New Beetle out today, chilling at a friend's house right now. I just didn't really feel like even looking at it because I've been pretty pissed at it lately and didn't want to make problems worse.

dstefun Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:24 pm

Nid wrote: That looks similar to the little metal can that says 12 volts on the side, is that the relay I'm looking for? You might have more than 1 relay that says 12V on the side - you'll have to trace the wires to make sure, but it might have the part # on it too. The 4 original wires (for 67) were white, yellow, white w/black tracer, and brown w/white tracer.

Quote:
I've been pretty pissed at it lately and didn't want to make problems worse.
Smart move. Sometimes it makes sense to do something else for awhile and come back with a fresh attitude. I've had more than one car where I wanted to throw a hammer through the windshield, or have a bonfire in the driveway. Never did it, but sure wanted to at the time. In the end I was glad I didn't. :wink:

Nid Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:16 pm

Well, I got out my little voltohmeter and electrically speaking that relay seems to be as dead as my sex life. Looks like I've got the source of my problems...

midnyter Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:28 pm

replace ur fuses too.. sometimes they get oxidized and dont make good contact..

Aussie Greg Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:24 am

Mine did that one night in the middle of nowhere! It was the switch. Just worn out is all. Did exactly what you described. I could not hear the click you normally hear when switching the headlights on.

Nid Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:29 pm

I was checking the relay wrong :roll:

Here I am going to school to be a mechanic, and yet I can't diagnose worth shit. I can machine parts though....

Turned out to be the switch after all. Replacing tomorrow when I have time. A lot of shit is going bad all at once on my car. I drive it for 6 months with no problems, and suddenly every god damn little thing decides to bite me in the ass.

Problems so far:

Engine rebuild or replace
lights out
wheel bearings possibly bad
spedometer cable starting to die
gas leak (fixed already)

As well as a half dozen other things I'm too tired and pissy to remember. All cropped up within the past 2 weeks.

dstefun Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:03 pm

Nid wrote: Turned out to be the switch after all. At least you found it!
Here's a great write up from Eric&Barb & Matt Roberds on how to fix your 55-67 headlight switch.... so don't throw it away yet!
http://type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html

Nid wrote: As well as a half dozen other things I'm too tired and pissy to remember. All cropped up within the past 2 weeks.
Welcome to the world of 40 year old vehicles! Builds character and self-satisfaction.
:shock:

Aussie Greg Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:11 am

Glad it was an easy fix mate. I agree with the last statement though... Owning a 40yo car is definately character building :)

Ragman Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:09 am

dstefun wrote: Builds character and self-satisfaction.
:shock:

That's funny, lately it's just been making me a lunatic.

bill may Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:42 am

appearance of a fuse is no guarantee it is good. the aluminum ones suck. i use the ones with copper or brass. get 10 of them in pkg. for a $1 at swap meets. do you have a $35 bentley for a 66-69? it has been my experience that water cooled mech. teachers are lost when it comes to aircooled vw's and dont want to disclose there weakness.