TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: very basic engine question
Mike45 Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:01 am

what makes the type 3 engine different from the other engines, besides saying it is a pancake engine, what specifics make it different? if anyone lives in san diego and wants to show someone the T3 ropes get back to me, i make great cookies.

blankmange Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:40 am

just off the top of my head, and this not a comprehensive list either:

dipstick/oil filler
cooling fan and shroud
generator
oil cooler
intake manifolds
engine cooling tin
heat exchangers
exhaust system
engine mounts (especially late models)

all of these are completely different from a type 1 motor

ibjack Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:58 am

Where in SD do you live? There's a few of us that would be willing to help. Jack

bugginmiami Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:42 am

The engine, is the same. It works the same, runs the same, etc. The accesories on it are almost 100% different. (lets assume, my year, 1967). The case itself IS different to account for the oil filler and pressure sender locations, its also different on later t3's for engine mounts (and FI tidbits). But it is the same engine basicly. It has its own carburators (to fit under the deck, but they are in principle simular to bug carbs). It has its own distributor (curve) but its looks the same. Wires, plugs ignition crap, all the same (or simular, the right wires have a 90 degree bend so they dont touch the lid, condensor has longer wire). The generator looks the same as a bug one but its in a different place, and doesnt have a shaft out the back to mount a fan on. Our fan is mounted on the crank itself (which makes for a more failsafe system, your belt can fail and you can still drive). The belt system is also much less finicky on a t3, you adjust it once and you are done. t1's ive had cars that you just never could get the belts right, theyd need adjusting, or eat pulleys, belts, etc). All tins and fans are different from t1. I dont think any of it is available aftermarket either, but i prefer to find original anyways, even for t1's. The oil cooler in the same place as a bug motor, but it just lays down to clear the deck, its different because its got a bung for the pressure sender for the idiot light. Im not sure what you are looking to know but these are some of the things. If you lets say got a complete t3 with a blown motor and were looking for a replacement motor, you WOULD need to find a t3 motor, or one built on a 'universal case'. (which is t1 and t3 friendly), you can tell a universal case because it has an opening on the lower right hand side towards what would be the back of the car (back of the motor as its called, but the front of it as you are looking at it). The exaust (stock or aftermarket) header for a t3 is completely different. An aftermarket bug muffler can be made to fit a t3 header thourgh. (thats what i have a t1 hideaway). You 'can' put in a regular (bug) motor with a couple of tricks, and a compelte t3 motors worth of parts, and not worry about finding the right motor/case, but id look for the right one unless i happened to already had a bug one that was known good and a complete t3 motor for tins/fans/parts/carbs,etc. Some people put complete t1 motors in fastbacks and notchbacks because it doesnt put the motor in the passenger compartment. I dont like this and dont see how it cools properly but its out there and if it works for them, cool.

Mike45 Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:45 pm

I live right off the 52 on Genesee Ave. I have a '72 squareback, i've kept it alive by doing a bunch of minor things but i do NOT have a complete grasp of the type 3 fundamentals and to do the things i'm going to need to do i need to learn, thanks for the replies they did help, i guess mainly i just am looking for a way to learn, help you work on your car or something or if you can point me to some good literature that'd be helpful

blankmange Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:07 pm

Mike45 wrote: point me to some good literature that'd be helpful

get the Bentley manual for your Type 3, and any other manual you can scrounge....

Mike45 Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:22 pm

yea i've got that, think more like dummie's guide for me

Russ Wolfe Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:30 pm

I have a lot of T-3/VW literature up on my web site.
http://classicvw.org/gallery
Everett also has a lot of literature up here on TheSamba.
another source of info is on the vwtype.org email list.
http://www.vwtyper3.org and sign up on their email list.

Http://www.type34.org is for the T-3 Ghia owners, but they have a lot of info on T-3 in general.

Russ Wolfe Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:46 pm

And don't listen to any of the "ricers" in SD. Especially, if one of them has the same last name as me. My son thinks air is just for breathing, and water is for cooling.
:twisted: