TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steel Sliding Sunroofs
Jimbug Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:44 am

Hey People, How Many Of You Own Steel Sliding Sunroofs? I've Purchased One I Have Never Worked On A Sun Roof Or A Rag And Ive Heard That There A Pain To work On Is This True? Help A Fella :roll: Out

Gilnbec Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:41 pm

My '66 has one, haven't done much work to it besides changing the crank, and new felt seals...just the easy stuff. Can't be too hard though.

Jimbug Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:16 pm

Does it leak at all ive heard that if you unpack the 4 corner flow lines with i know people with porsches and they clean there lines with weedeater string to run down the lines and then hook a drill to the end in the car and it will eventually knock all the nasty out, but ive read that the corner drains being caked up is the main culprit for leaking is this true? thanks in advence - Jim

quattlebum Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:09 pm

I replaced the drainage tubes in mine and replaced the crank... My bro had one in his 66 and we took it out and bought all new hardware and couldn't get it back in... I have yet to take mine out or open it... cause the last time I opened mine it got stuck open.. I haven't tackled that problem yet... I'm getting ready to strip the car down and do some body work and paint it, I'll have to tackle it then...

do the bently manuals or muirs have a HOW TO on the sunroofs? I need to buy one...

Jimbug Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:49 pm

Anybody got a bentley manual for sale or a printoff i can use for a 64 steel slider? thanks in advance - Jim

krlang Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Hey,
I have a 67 Sunroof, and it did leak till I cleaned out the tubes.
I took a piece of 1/8 in. cable attached to my drill, it took a while to get it to not loop at the top but I finally got it cleaned out enough to drain when tested. It has all new seals and it still filled up with water in the trough until I cleaned out the drains. Now all I have to do is make it work. For now I just slide it closed and pop it into place at the end of its travel.
I bought the WCM cables a few years ago and the bullets at the end of the cables got jammed in the tubes and broke a cable. Some day I will finish it.

Good luck.

BTW if anybody has a sunroof headliner frame for a steel sunroof I could use one.

Jimbug Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks For Your Replys Guys Thanks - Jim

Kuncle Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Pussy Rag Wanna be