TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Valve Tick?
Nevada Notch Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:07 pm

My Notch has a tick which sounds like mis-adjusted valves. I have gone through and checked the valve adjustment 3 times and find that they are adjusted correctly. I can't seem to get rid of the noise. Seems to be coming from #3. Any idea what the problem is?

karfer67 Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:36 pm

you mean you hear only one valve more than the others? are you new to vws as these are noisy beasts and the sound of the valves ticking is something you learn to love when you come to a stop light. other than that check that the rocker shafts are tight and check the adjusters to see if there is any heavy wear on the tips where they hit the valves.

Nevada Notch Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:15 pm

No I,m not new to VW,s. I have owned a 64 bug with both a 40 HP and 1600 DP installed at different times, 63 dune buggy with a 1500 SP and a 74 Bus with a 1800 pancake motor. I can understand why you ask though, my question does sound rather rookie doesn't it! I still have the buggy and when I fire it up it doesn't make any valve noises at all. All I can hear is the fan sucking air. Like I said, the Notch makes noise like the valves are way out of adjustment. Might be comming from #3&4, cant tell. The heads have an aftermarket blue anodized rocker in them and the center spacer between them has about .010 to .015 play in it. I thought maybe this might be where th noise is comming from. Any ideas?

karfer67 Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:28 pm

so it is running aftermarket rocker arms? check the angle at which the rockers hit the valves and make sure they are offset slightly so that the tip rotates the valve as it compresses. oh and sorry for making the remarks i did just trying to see where you stand on v dub know how :P

Nevada Notch Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:47 am

No problem on the comment. I realise we get a lot of young newbies out ther who aren't aware and you don't know me from Adam. I'll double check on the valve rotation. I fear that I have an internal problem of some other kind though.

karfer67 Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:58 am

does it run ok other than the valve tick? maybe you have a flat cam?

Nevada Notch Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:49 am

Runs like a top, just that it ticks like a time bomb. I just get paraniod that at highway speed the damn thing gonna let go! I bought the car at Bug-O-Rama and have no idea how many miles are on the motor or whats in the motor for that matter. The guy I bought it from didn't know a lot about the car either. Got a good deal though so I had to have it! This is my first type 3!

I should probably just break down and buy a new longblock to run as my daily driver and rebuild the one in the car now to a bigger size. You know, something to blow the doors off of Hondas with when I get the urge to go racing!