TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Automatic tranny type3
Kevin S. Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:24 pm

I just picked up a 1971 type 3 fastback. It has a automatic trans. It didnt have a motor in the car. Form what the guy I bought it from it had sat for a year or two in a barn, it ran befors it was put into storage.. It is a pretty straight car. I just know what kind of shape the tranny is in. How would I see if it is any good????? If it is, how strong are these trannys??? I want to put a 1914 or a 1776 motor in the fasty. Would it hold up against either of these engines????? Please help. New to the type three scene.

Gary Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:32 pm

Type 3 automatic trannys are tough. Do some searching in this forum and get yourself a Bentley manual.

Russ Wolfe Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:56 pm

I hope you got the torque converter, and the drive and pump shaft. If the engine has been out that long, how was the converter stored. You may need to flush the convert and change the fluid and filter.

Kevin S. Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:04 pm

It didnt come with a tourque converter.. Is that a bad thing?? And a pump drive shaft??? Any pics??? Are thay hard to find??? I checked the fluid....... It is nice and pink. That could be good, or bad too. Not many people work on these things in Vancouver Washington, that I know of.

Russ Wolfe Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:23 pm

Yes, no converter could be a problem.
What you are probably missing is #48, #49, and #50 in this illustration.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/automatictrans/atdifferential_002

Or these show all the pieces.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/automatictrans

I would go back to the seller, and see if he has those pieces laying around somewhere.

Barter_Builder Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:03 pm

don't forget about the flexplate. You will also need to find an automatic engine block to bolt up to your tranny. Good luck.

Kevin S. Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:19 pm

The guy I bought the car from was moveing and has since had the barn demolished. They are building a school on that land. It seems like I have alot of serching to do. Is there any sugestions you have?? Were to get these parts I need?? Or to just scrap it and replace it with a stick?? My girlfriend realy wants a 4speed in it. I dont care. I just want it to run and drive for a long time with out any problems. Any help would be great.

Mr. Bubblehead Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:22 pm

I believe that a torque converter from a '72-75 automatic bus will work, as they used the same auto tranny as the type 3.

Russ Wolfe Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:32 pm

Check the salvage yards in your area that deal in VW's. Don't feel bad, those 2 shafts were the first pieces to go out of my parts tranny. I have a second complete tranny, but I wouldnt want to part it out.
Converting to a manual is not an easy task. There is no tube in the tunnel for the clutch cable to run through. Although I have heard of people putting in a hydraulic clutch control.
Check with TheDDB, they may have what you need.

Kevin S. Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:08 pm

Thank you for all the help. I will check with the DDb. I guess i have alot to work on and consider. Thanks again

tristessa Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:26 pm

Definately check with DDB, they're not far from Vancouver at all. Not sure if Martin's got any A/T parts in stock right now, but if push comes to shove, I found a T3 torque converter when I was cleaning up the garage at home last week .. no flexplate though.

Kevin S. Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:35 pm

Thanks trissessa. I am heading to theDDb in the a.m. I will keep your tourque converter in mind.

Air_Cooled_Nut Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:30 pm

It can easily handle extra power, no problem. The problem I'm guessing would be taping into the proper location for vacuum so it'll shift when it's supposed to.

carbine2 Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:21 am

I just did a pan swap on my formerly automatic Fastback. My trans final drive isn't in very good shape, but the rest of it is. Since my car is now a manual I am getting rid of all the automatic parts (flex plate, torque converter, drive shafts, axles, trans) I'm in Oregon City so I can deliver. Check with the DDB first as they usually have the good stuff. If not let me know.

Kevin S. Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:32 pm

When to the DDB today and they have it all!!!!! Martin is a god among men!!!! I was told good luck on finding all my tins I need...... He has it!!! All my motor stuff...... He has it!!!!! I was like a kid in a candy store!!!! God bless the DDB!!!!!! \:D/ Now to break the piggy bank and go crazy!!!! Just hope the tranny is good!!! If not......... Here comes the four speed!!!! Thanks guys for the help!!!!

Russ Wolfe Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:29 pm

You will need to score an automatic case for the engine, or modify a stick case to get at the torque converter bolts.

Kevin S. Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:35 pm

They have it too. I found everything there. As well as some other goodies too. Early rear fenders...... :D ..... Very swell!!!!