TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lamp for Squareback hinge cover Page: 1, 2  Next
Jerry J Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:08 pm

I just bought a cool hinge cover, from Johnnynotch, and I need to figure out what type of lanp goes in the lamp hole??? Is it the standard Hella courtesy light?

I've got some time as I'm going to get it powder coated white to match interior.

EverettB Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:19 pm

It's the same as a Ghia or Beetle toggle lamp.

The lamp has 3 positions but only on/off will work since there is no door dipswitch

Kenaneu Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:08 pm

EverettB wrote: It's the same as a Ghia or Beetle toggle lamp.

The lamp has 3 positions but only on/off will work since there is no door dipswitch

I wired mine up to work with door switches as well. Not as nice as having it auto-on when the hatch is up, but still handy.

jimmynotch Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:51 pm

When I redid my old square, I put a switch in the hatch area and wired it to come on when the hatch was up... Glad you liek the hinge cover Jerry.

Jerry J Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:01 pm

Thanks so much for the replies and help. I really appreciate it.

I was just looking at the wiring diagram for the car. It looks like the intention was to wire the lamp from the passenger side tail light. It would be nice to set it up so that it comes on when the hatch is opened rather than when the running lights are on.

The diagram also shows that there should be a separate switch. I can't find a provision for the switch in the bodywork. Was the switch mounted on the hatch lid? And was it a standard type door switch?

jimmynotch Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:09 pm

Go to vintagebus.com for wiring diagrams. If you scroll down the menu to the left, look under 'technical' and hit the 'wiring diagrams' menu. There you will find wiring diagrams for pretty much everything, including some fuse block diagrams, and keys to help you dicipher what you are looking at. I wired my 65 notch to be more like a '67 so I could have stuff like back up lights, hazard blinkers, etc.

Good luck! :D

EverettB Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:01 pm

Jerry J wrote: Thanks so much for the replies and help. I really appreciate it.

I was just looking at the wiring diagram for the car. It looks like the intention was to wire the lamp from the passenger side tail light. It would be nice to set it up so that it comes on when the hatch is opened rather than when the running lights are on.

The diagram also shows that there should be a separate switch. I can't find a provision for the switch in the bodywork. Was the switch mounted on the hatch lid? And was it a standard type door switch?
You are seeing the dipswitch and wiring for a Notchback.

There is no switch for a Squareback and wiring connects to the front interior light, if I remember correctly.

jimmynotch Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:44 pm

Yeah.. but you can mod up a dipswitch to the tailight the way the notch trunk lights are...

Jerry J Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:44 pm

EverettB wrote:
You are seeing the dipswitch and wiring for a Notchback.

There is no switch for a Squareback and wiring connects to the front interior light, if I remember correctly.

Ah! that make sense since the diagram that I have shows the outline of the Notch license plate assembly.

Russ Wolfe Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:05 pm

Fastbacks have the switch on the hatch hinge. But it is wired off the Right tail light.
I went out and looked at my '69 parts car. It has no switch, but it does have wires going to the rear window defogger. If your defogger no longer works, use the wiring for it, and you can then turn it off and on from the dash.
Othrwise, you could make a bracket and use a door switch and mount it to the rear roof brace that the hinge will hit when closed.

Jerry J Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:44 am

Russ Wolfe wrote: Fastbacks have the switch on the hatch hinge. But it is wired off the Right tail light.
I went out and looked at my '69 parts car. It has no switch, but it does have wires going to the rear window defogger. If your defogger no longer works, use the wiring for it, and you can then turn it off and on from the dash.
Othrwise, you could make a bracket and use a door switch and mount it to the rear roof brace that the hinge will hit when closed.

Good idea but the car is a '67 so unfortunately no rear defogger.

greenbugben Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:21 am

i don't know if this changes the subject but... i noticed the picture of the hinge cover above is plastic... are metal ones hard to find?

EverettB Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:40 am

It's metal but it has a crackle paint finish.
I have an extra one...

Jerry J Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:38 am

greenbugben wrote: i don't know if this changes the subject but... i noticed the picture of the hinge cover above is plastic... are metal ones hard to find?

I think that there are several of these covers listed here in the Type 3 classifieds. Also, you might want to check with Martin at theDDB. I think that he still has one.

tomnotch Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:40 am

I suggest getting the power off an always hot source, closest on a SB is the starter or battery. The window defroster wiring relay power is another spot. Then the light works without having to turn on the running lights. I did my notch that way but I did build a whole new wiring harness with many upgrades.

Russ Wolfe Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:44 pm

tomnotch wrote: I suggest getting the power off an always hot source, closest on a SB is the starter or battery. The window defroster wiring relay power is another spot. Then the light works without having to turn on the running lights. I did my notch that way but I did build a whole new wiring harness with many upgrades.

That is why I first suggested the rear defogger circuit. and switchable from the front through a relay.

tomnotch Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:46 pm

ya think he'll get the hint, Russ, If enough people suggest that way?

Jerry J Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:55 pm

What year was the rear window defogger available?

Russ Wolfe Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:09 pm

Started in '69 IIRC. They were available as an option before that. I have even heard of 6v defoggers.

Jerry J Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:07 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Started in '69 IIRC. They were available as an option before that. I have even heard of 6v defoggers.

So most likely, since my Squareback is an early '67, that it won't have a power tap for the rear window defogger?